That time Andy Warhol cruised 'The Love Boat' (1985)

Originally published at: That time Andy Warhol cruised 'The Love Boat' (1985) | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Looks like a real missed opportunity for Mary Woronov (who was doing episodic TV around that time), although I’ll grant Marion Ross in the role sounds funnier.

7 Likes

I wonder if the producers approached Warhol for the appearance or vice versa. It was 1985 and neither were as “exciting and new” as they once were.

10 Likes

This site claims this…

The cameo came about because Love Boat producer Doug Cramer, one of the biggest collectors in LA, asked Warhol personally.

8 Likes

But did he find true love?

I’d rather have seen him on Fantasy Island.

16 Likes

Wait, Mrs. Cunningham got naked for an Andy Warhol art film?

Mrs. C., we hardly knew ye!

11 Likes

Well, there was that episode where Florence Henderson met Hermann Nitsch.

3 Likes

Most (not all) guests on the Love Boat were “exciting” precisely because they weren’t new - it had usually been a while since whatever work had made them famous, so it was nice to see them again.

12 Likes

Yep. As I said in the earlier topic:

And lots and lots of Bert Convy.

8 Likes

lou

15 Likes

If you don’t have 26 minutes, here’s a list but it takes almost as long to scroll the list. You’ll see names you won’t recognize and names you forgot about.

4 Likes

i guess Tom Bosley doesn’t realize that the painting would make them famous. not everyone got to be the subject of a Warhol painting. he could coast on that for years with all his friends.

7 Likes

Hey, Bosley got his 15 minutes of fame.

4 Likes

I remember someone planning a trip to the Paley Center? Museum of the Moving Image? (wherever they have every available TV episode for viewing) for the specific reason of watching this episode. Their mentioning of it was the first I’d ever heard about it.

3 Likes

And Charo.
I loved watching Love Boat when I was a kid, but by 1985 I had long since stopped watching it. Wish I had seen this one, though.
Loved Fantasy Island, too. My favorite was when Mr. Rourke battled the devil (played by Roddy McDowall) for guests’ souls. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Did he ever.

6 Likes

“how does an artist know when he is truly successful?”

“When the checks clear”

Perfect

10 Likes

A very amusing press conference from 1987, announcing the release of a long-form Grateful Dead video titled So Far , which was later included in a boxed set titled All the Years Combined .

This is the source of Bob Weir’s great quote, in reply to the question “Has success spoiled the Grateful Dead?”

“I was noticing the other night, for instance,” Bobby said, “that when I’m going through pistachios - the hard-to-open ones, I don’t bother with them any more.”

6 Likes

Come on, Brains, that wig isn’t fooling anyone.

3 Likes

Cruiseliner’s gone out to the seas
Things like that drive me out of my mind
I watched it for a little while
I like to watch things on TV

The boat of love
The boat of love
The boat of love
The boat of …

Edited to add the picture below

9 Likes