That time Ogilvie got sick of Tanner Boyle's bigotry

All I know is that I was crushed when my “girlfriend” in 5th grade (L___ B____) told me she wanted to get the same hairstyle that Kristy McNichol had on the cover of Dynamite magazine. I really liked L___ B____'s long hair.

2 Likes

The 1970s was a mixed bag. It was the Grindhouse era, it was the Dirty Harry era, the Godfather and Star Wars era, but also the era when movies like Ordinary People or Kramer vs. Kramer were box office hits.

The studios were still taking potshots, hadn’t quite codified the Formula yet. Nowadays, the big studios all belong to marketing and their laundry lists of what movies are worth investing in.

2 Likes

Oh sure, a kid can’t beat up on another kid even when the other kid is intentionally being a spiteful antagonist. But go ahead, make his life miserable. Wouldn’t that include beating the crap out of him?

It’s all fake news anyway. Love it.

1 Like

Yeah, I kid. Everyone knows that the 1970s were a high water mark for studio films. Actors who nowadays seem like a tired joke (Dustin Hoffman, for example) had unimpeachable runs of startlingly original films with real acting in them (Little Big Man! Straw Dogs! Papillon! Lenny! All the President’s Men! Marathon Man! Holy crap!!).

But let us not forget how much cultural hand-wringing accompanied the films of the 1970s. They were often publicly denounced as “filth” full of, you guessed it, car chases, explosions and gratuitous sex scenes. And, in those days, an R rating meant “you gonna buy a ticket or what?” if you were a city kid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.