That time Ogilvie got sick of Tanner Boyle's bigotry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/04/that-time-olgilvie-got-sick-of.html

1 Like

Not sure i would agree. Tanner is much younger and rules growing up is pick on someone your own size. Could not condone beating up a younger child even if he’s saying some really hateful shit. Make his life miserable? Sure go ahead.

bad news bears / what I learned as a kid: that I had a mega crush on Jodie Foster.

6 Likes

I had that same mega crush on Ms. Foster. Soon figured out why in my case: she was so tomboyish. Thus began a new direction.

5 Likes

I thought Kelly Leak was about the coolest thing ever.

Tatum O’Neal?

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure the “booger-eating morons” are running this country.

Sorry, I guess it’s a “fucking moron” according to Rex Tillerson.

Not sure if that’s better.

2 Likes

How long have Akimbo and MajorTom based their lives off of lies?

2 Likes

Alfred Lutter (Ogilvie) was in the film Alice Doesn’t Live Here alongside Jodie Foster. He must have gotten those two films confused.

1 Like

He was definitely cool. Heck of a ball player, plus he rode a Harley.IMG_0618

3 Likes

True. Jodie was cast in BNB’s but opted to do Taxi Driver instead. The two did look similar then. It was the first I’d heard of Jodie and was smitten.

1 Like

One of those 1970s movies that could never ever be made today.

1 Like

Do you mean a movie that can be good without resorting to car chases, explosions, and gratuitous sex?

Are you remembering the same 1970s that I am? We used to pack at least four hidden hippies into the van so that we could hit the Drive-In for “Car Chases, Explosions, and Gratuitous Sex Plus Some Sexist Bullcrap Your Single Mother Doesn’t Even Have to Tell You is Sexist Bullcrap, But What Did You Expect? This Thing Stars Charles Bronson.”

2 Likes

I’ve never ridden with hippies in a van (although I see a certain attraction for that). Yes, there were ‘questionable’ movies in the 70s (80’s, etc). But there were some very good 70s movies, like All the President’s Men, and The Conversation.

Nobody’s perfect. :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe he means the one that features an adult casually day-drinking and driving with kids piled, unbelted, in the back of his convertable, and where that was considered a mildly amusing exaggeration of everyday life.

4 Likes

I shared the same first name for a boy with the coolest kid character in the movies not counting Pippi Longstocking!

1 Like

@Footface

TEAM KRISTY MCNICHOL DESPITE LOSING BAD NEWS BEARS TO TATUM O’NEAL AND TURNED DOWN TAXI DRIVER AND LET JODIE FOSTER TAKE IT AND I DIDN’T HAVE A CLUE THAT SHE WAS TOTALLY INTO GIRLS BUT I STILL DON’T CARE BECAUSE I’M AN ALLY AND SHE’S THAT AWESOME AND I’D TOTALLY WEAR ONE OF THE HALTER TOPS FROM HER CLOTHING LINE JUST TO HAVE HER SIGN IT!

Yep. That’s how much I love Kristy McNichol.

5 Likes

Wow, how did Hollywood and the rest of America get along without your brilliant insight before now? I mean, if only you were the screenwriter on that and all films so you could make sure they satisfied your checklist. You really have such a unique, non offensive take on the matter unlike the rest of us. I guess it’s best we just leave it to you to make sure our art and daily lives are executed in accordance to the way you think things “should be.” Thank you for going back 40 years or so to revisit a massive blight on our cultural heritage, I don’t know how we ever moved on from this atrocity.

Can you please point out more scenes or events in our history or culture that you really, truly feel bad about and list the grievances so that they may be applied retroactively and for the future? Really for my benefit, since I liked the movie and Tanner, I must be so lost. Your quest for the absolute perfection of man and the redressing of each and every slight and hurt feeling is very admirable. There shall be no conflict or harmful opinion ever, I stand with thee.

Signed,

One of the minorites mentioned in Tanner’s tirade, yet still incredibly managed to really like the film and Tanner Boyle, and still do.

3 Likes