That time that Kenner released a torture chamber playset

Aren’t gonk droids just Lucas’ nod the the droids in Silent Running?

2 Likes

I remember the droid parts were made of a softer plastic and the little pins that held them together had a habit of just ripping out. Within a couple months I was left with an awkward little platform with a lousy crane and little droid bits that I unsuccessfully tried to hold together with Elmer’s glue. It was the best of times and the worst of times.

5 Likes

i don’t know – i don’t think i’ve ever actually seen Silent Running!

yep, that’s exactly right. it was fun building droids, but they just sort of fell apart too quickly because the rubber pins that held them together didn’t quite fit right, or something. that’s what i recall, anyway. i should go dig in the basement and see how many pieces i still have left of it. i know for a fact i have the base and the crane.

1 Like

Well, you are in luck comrade,

Whether you have actually missed something is a matter of opinion.

5 Likes

This toy isn’t as explicitly gory, but I like acting out the scene where cartoony Indiana Jones watches the cartoony German Mechanic faceplant into a propeller.

4 Likes

As I recall, the droid factory was a way to get an R2 unit with three legs. Nowadays, there are different options.

as seen in the playset. IIRC, this only worked with the astromech supplied with the factory

4 Likes

Yes! I totally forgot about that. That made the set worth it by itself.

4 Likes

wow, i had TOTALLY forgotten about that. but then, i never had an R2 figure, either. i really must go dig that set out from the basement and see how much of it is left…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.