The 11-foot8+8 bridge has met an unstoppable force (video)

No one has suggested retractable spike strips? They could auto-engage when they detect an over height vehicle and nearly instantly take 6-8" off of the height of an oncoming truck.

I mean, it would cause a lot of destruction, but the being would be less likely to be hit…

9 Likes

horizontal buzzsaw?

8 Likes

Have all traffic drive into a portal on one side of the bridge, and out another portal on the other side.

14 Likes

Developing teleportation just to fix a bridge is as ridiculous as developing fusion just to make autocomplete work better. So maybe?

13 Likes

Hmm, there is even a Bridge Constructor: Portal Edition! I think you may be on to something.

7 Likes

but i need the dyson sphere to power my bitscoin!

9 Likes

13 Likes

Can confirm.

See also “Around the World in 80 days”, chapter 28

3 Likes

Oh my giddy aunt that thread is hilarious:

Notice how bridge signs are always in 3 inch increments?

The advice is give yourself a good six inches.

Most men can’t be trusted with that measurement

And also a sobering read:

Ok so you have knackered the bridge, blocked the traffic, ruined everyones day, and away you go with a slap on the wrist.

No, Network Rail and the Traffic Commissioners are thoroughly fed up with this, and so hitting a bridge is a one way ticket to a Public Inquiry. Guaranteed

Consequences for the driver involved are likely to be a minimum 6 month suspension of the vocational driving licence.

For the Operator (company running the lorry) it may well mean the revocation of their Operator’s licence. Which means the end of the business.

Serious stuff.

8 Likes

Stick the stargate on the train tracks. In the dailout time (15 minutes?) they could move a lot of freight. (Only usable to sites with matching tracks, of course.) None of this fiddling around with people running up a ramp.

5 Likes

has anyone considered perhaps moving the town?

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.