The 11 stereotypical roles offered to Black men in Hollywood

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/14/the-11-stereotypical-roles-off.html

2 Likes

He forgot “outlandishly queeny gay fashion stylist/service industry comic relief”.

29 Likes

Also forgot the scary scary gang guy with very poor aim and terrible hand-to-hand combat skills

18 Likes

He left out the black sympathetic social worker, the loyal black cop sidekick to the white cop, and deep-voiced aliens (under very heavy makeup).

18 Likes

There’s always work at the post office.

9 Likes

Also the “Look! We cast this one-dimensional doctor / architect etc. as a BLACK man!”

There’s probably a lot more than 11 but whatever the role, if a non-white actor is cast, their race is the point.

(it’s even more true for gay roles, but at least if you’re a gay actor you can still play “normal”)

7 Likes

But why the insane number of dislikes on Youtube?

2 Likes

Ha, ISWYDT!

15 Likes

Dang. Beat me to it.

3 Likes

Sad sad sad, how long this song remains the same.

4 Likes

I seriously fluv you for posting this.

Anecdotal:

I once met Robert Townsend while working at an Oracle convention at Moscone Center, of all places; he seemed surprised as hell to get recognized.

7 Likes

Ha, that’s awesome! (In several ways, actually, wow.) Lucky you, and him.

That movie is a little rough, but I still love it.

5 Likes

It was just a quick encounter, basically “hi & bye”; but it was still memorable enough to tell people about, years later.

#^_^

That’s part of the reason why I dig it, TBH; much the same as I have a soft spot for Clerks.

Both Townsend and Kevin Smith made their first films independently, with almost no outside financial backing; and both ended up becoming very successful directors.

5 Likes
7 Likes

This needs a follow-up showcasing the (stereo)typecasting of black women!

8 Likes

This is as assuming they just don’t whitewash the acting role completely.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if YT is a reliable reference source for what’s truly good or what’s truly bad.

7 Likes

What about “police cadet/officer whose talent at making sound effects is surprisingly handy when catching bad guys”.

2 Likes

That just a stereotypical role for Michael Winslow

10 Likes

What about “black guy in a lady fat suit?”

2 Likes