"The Alt-Right is Slandering My Father’s Beautiful Creation, Babar"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/06/the-alt-right-is-slandering.html

5 Likes

I guess I always kind of assumed that Babar voted Republican, but he was a Hoover Republican.

15 Likes

I have long been dismayed by Babar’s reluctance to spread democracy to his people. Also, he lives in a pretty nice mansion.

10 Likes

http://the-toast.net/2015/11/09/childrens-stories-made-horrific-the-story-of-babar/

5 Likes

It’s… parody? I suppose that’s a relief, in a way.

2 Likes

No monarch would call themselves a republican, unless they didn’t want the job.

I expect Trump to break this rule when he declares himself King of America.

10 Likes

Teh Missus loved it when her father would read Babar to her as a child - but she always got a bit pouty when he’d remind her: “You know Babar’s a fascist, right?”.

Ahh - good times.

8 Likes

23 Likes

I’M Nearl!

1 Like

And I can’t help but see Babar and Coming to America as part of the same series.

4 Likes

Each one of those layers sailed over my head I’m afraid.

I’d google “Babar alt-right” but I can’t imagine what good could come of it.

12 Likes

Rataxes and the Rhinos must be Regan Republicans then?

2 Likes

Just a bit of an FYI for the younger members of BB. If you look up Babar (particularly the story of “Babar’s travels”, be prepare for some pretty dated images of “tribesmen”… Think old blackface images…

9 Likes

My take on Babar is it’s a parable of a banana republic. Babar, who was missing since birth, shows up right after the King is poisoned wearing a fancy suit and driving a car? Cornelius suggests Babar be King and then Babar picks him as general? It’s all too convenient.

11 Likes

“Babar knows exactly what to say to people until their faces relax.”

A sentence of genius.

1 Like

THAT’S a pickle.

Poor Nearl. Flowers for Algernoned, then… Goddammit Ronnie.

2 Likes

This is an alternative fact. In his other identity he wears a purple dressing-gown

6 Likes

Surely you meant to write Emperor of the Americas?

2 Likes

Badfort 4 Lyfe.

2 Likes

Uncle stole a bicycle!

1 Like