"The Ambivalent Internet": A scholar of trolling's new book about politics in the internet age

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/10/the-ambivalent-internet-a.html

5 Likes

In my internet travels, the labels of “Snowflake” and “Safe Space” are now being used against the right, and Trump supporters. When cornered in arguments, or hypocrisy most Trumpers disappear.

Until politics is somehow removed from “my team/your team” rhetoric, I see a steady decline in any sort of discussion.

I can’t think of anything that hasn’t been politicized to the point of uselessness. We can’t even agree on facts, and I am no longer surprised when I hear that gravity is a GOP conspiracy, or that the moon is a liberal myth.

Perhaps a gamma ray burst from beyond the solar system will set things right

3 Likes

We’re not going to be able to steer human psychology that much, that quickly. A good approach can be win-win focused negotiations.

win-win adjective
of or denoting a situation in which each party benefits in some way.
“we are aiming for a win-win situation”

However, that would require all parties sit down at the table, and the leadership of the republican party is not in any way encouraging negotiation nor modeling humility.

1 Like

Until politics is somehow removed from “my team/your team” rhetoric, I see a steady decline in any sort of discussion.

We’re not going to be able to steer human psychology that much, that quickly.

From my poor (very poor) understanding of psychology, it’s easier to change our habits to influence our thoughts than it is to change our thoughts to affect our habits.
Maybe people should openly discuss politics as much as possible, yeah I’m sure you’ll get a few fist fights now and then, some friendships lost, but it’s probably better than stabbing each other in the back at the voting booth.

1 Like

You’re entirely right, stabbing each other in the front is closer to ideal and would be an improvement.

2 Likes

The republican party is apparently not your team then??

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.