The appendix is not a useless organ

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/17/the-appendix-is-not-a-useless.html

8 Likes

I thought its purpose was to be a reservoir for gut bacteria to help them ride out episodes of diarrhea and give them a foothold to recolonize the gut once you’re healthy again. At least that’s what I learned in school some 20 years ago. Is this a controversial opinion?

23 Likes

Nope, that’s what I learned in med school, although that was a bit more than 20 years ago!

17 Likes

Then it’s not an appendix, but a part of the main body?

23 Likes

This seems like a pattern with any body part that is basically a little dead-end pocket (tonsils, gall bladders, appendices, sinuses) – the popular wisdom is “you don’t need that cos it doesn’t do anything”, based on an early-20th-century engineering mindset where things are understood as a flowchart where everything has inputs, outputs and a self-contained Function. That thinking is not well-equipped to understand little gnarls and curlicues that passively modulate the working of the overall system.

It’s the same thinking that leads people to persistently dismiss (for example) the economic importance of unwaged labor or the arts. Most real science and engineering has moved past thinking like this, but I think the public cling to it because it justifies authoritarian, daddy-centric hierarchies.

30 Likes

And it may (or may not) be a reservoir for something else…

Yes it’s a year old, but oddly enough I only came across it a couple of days ago.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Sure, but what has it done for me lately?

19 Likes

The appendix is not a useless organ

But apparently the brain is…

10 Likes

I’m appending right now!

15 Likes

That’s all well and good until it tries to kill you.

17 Likes

But what do medical researchers think of the footnote?

8 Likes

May I join you in forming your appendices?

8 Likes

Old news. It contains the human soul:

19 Likes

You mean . . . . . I’m soulless? :scream:

Of course, that explains a lot.

8 Likes

Mine might be. Fuel mileage varies though.

3 Likes

Yeah, well wait until you’re in your 60’s brother, then the milage really varies.

3 Likes

Getting close…brain still trips me up.

3 Likes

Well, mine is useless, since it was removed from the rest of me a year ago. But it did try to kill me, so fair is fair.

3 Likes

You are Don Simmons, and I claim my €5!

3 Likes