The Atlantic fires Kevin Williamson, who said that women who have abortions should be hanged

Sympathetic Fox News interview followed by lucrative pundit position in 10… 9…

4 Likes

Bigger? Yes. Better? NO!

1 Like

They don’t do it, though, and haven’t since at least the 1990s.

6 Likes

I was just going to ask when the last time someone was executed by hanging. (1996, DE)

There are hella archaic American laws which are still ‘on the books,’ simply because no one ever rescinded them.

6 Likes

Indeed…

9 Likes

That was under editor Michael Kelly. It changed after he died covering the war he so loved.

1 Like

Quarter Week.

The Trump administration is packed with people who routinely call for the murder of millions.

7 Likes

I’m impressed that Jezebel created a Cannibal Witch account just so they could have real embedded tweets in the article.

13 Likes

Delaware has a history of being old fashioned when it comes to punishment. They last flogged somebody in 1952 and that was still on the books as a punishment unitl 1972.

2 Likes

It is one of the original 13, so that’s not that surprising, as much as it is disheartening.

2 Likes

I hear pet Nazis are de rigueur in certain circles these days.

6 Likes

“The language he used in this podcast—and in my conversations with him in recent days—made it clear that the original tweet did, in fact, represent his carefully considered views.”

No fucking way, Jeffy. How’d you come to that conclusion???

8 Likes

I simply can’t parse just what the fuck you were going for there. I’d call it ‘trumpish’, but then it’s too complicated for Trump.

Beat me to it.

1 Like

But they still can do it. And given that they haven’t changed their laws in the 20+ years since they last did it, it looks like they want to keep their options open.

1 Like

How many degrees did they fire him at, I would have gone for 1670 °C.

I know that’s a synonym for an arsehole who dehumanised half of the world’s population, but I wanted to point out for the casually scrolling that this guy is a plain fascist.

I’m not using the term lightly. Trust me; I’m German.

3 Likes

Insert obligatory Why not both? gif

4 Likes

The Overton window has veered so far that offering a contrarian platform implies entertaining the rabid. I suspect that I’d find just under half of my countrymen replying to Mr Williamson with “hanging’s too good for 'em!” (Yes, I used the ‘-men’ suffix intentionally, but I see no shortage of right-wing women out there as well.)

2 Likes

Indeed. The other concern about giving voice to trolls is that is the exact modus operandi of Russia’s recent interference in our political system. A divided America is an ineffective leader on the world stage, leaving a vacuum into which Russia can step and increase their own influence. And trolls have proven very effective over the last election.

2 Likes