More reports emerge that Amy Klobuchar is awful to staff, especially when hangry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/22/more-reports-emerge-that-amy-k.html

What’s worse than the salad and the comb thing? Klobuchar’s office reportedly required staff to stay on after taking family leave for a newborn.

2 Likes

I feel like I know next to nothing about any of the Dem candidates at this point. It’s disheartening to hear these things and of course it’s about a female candidate. I just wonder if this would be the least bit newsworthy/noteworthy if she were instead a he.

10 Likes

I didn’t get the shocking part of that story. She had a limited amount of time to eat and found a way to do it. Berating her staff and telling them to do menial chores is not wonderful, but not shocking. If you change the names and tell this story as the behavior of some male sports coach, it would just be a story about being resourceful.

25 Likes

That the NYTimes chooses to publish 2000+ words on this stupid non-story is the actual story.

New York City is a fetid swamp of dehumanizing bosses and abused staff … and yet it’s a story when somebody in Washington D.C. goes near that line on occasion?

Frankly, it’s only a story when it’s about a woman running for president goes near that line. Which by definition makes it sexist. And utterly typical of what the NYT did to Hilary Clinton endlessly.

It would be nice if Boing Boing quit being a conduit for this garbage and started asking questions of the media … and what they are apparently still intent on doing to women in politics.

9 Likes

That’d be a good research study. Change the genders on a story like this, have a third of the study read the same story about a male, a female, or an non-gender specified candidate and then have people rate the candidate on leadership/awfulness/appropriateness of behavior.

14 Likes

Abusive bosses suck. Period. I don’t care what their gender is.

33 Likes

Is hangry supposed to mean hungry and angry?

3 Likes

Yes, that is the correct meaning of hangry. Or more precisely, you’re so hungry or in need of nourishment that your normal judgment or emotions are affected and you become ‘angry’ or otherwise short, offensive, or abusive.

11 Likes

I’m not excusing abusive bosses of any gender. You do whatever you want, but I’m not giving passes.

This is the time for this shit to come out, well before the primary.

19 Likes

11 Likes

And suddenly I has the slightest bit of empathy for her actions (not really)

3 Likes

She improvised a comb into a makeshift fork? Front page news! Oh wait, this is about how she’s bad or something. This whole story seems incredibly weaksauce. Like the reporter knew what story he had to write, but struggled to find enough facts to fit the narrative.

9 Likes

Being angry at a staff member who gave her a salad but nothing to eat it just means she’s human. And improvising a comb to eat it with means she’s a resourceful human. If we’re going to do character assassination, could we have some better material to work with?

The parental leave thing? Maybe you should have led with that. Although I gather parental leave itself is generally regarded as unamerican.

6 Likes

It’s definitely important to air as much dirty laundry as possible now.

I wouldn’t work for her, but that all still seems to compare favorably with someone who literally had a multi-season television show based totally around the fact that he was a bad and abusive boss.

Trump fucked up people’s lives and has monstrous behavior currently locked under Non-Disclosure Agreements. A salad story doesn’t hit the first level, IMO.

11 Likes

2 Likes

Welp it sounds like the New York Times is against her. That about wraps it up for her campaign. I wonder if we’re gearing up for another year of the Times sabotaging every democratic candidate?

6 Likes

5 Likes

This.
When Trump was running, I was pretty sure his pussy-grabbing ways would generalize to grabbing America by the pussy … leopards and spots. AK, I suspect will be as abusive a leader in the large as she is in the small.
Just a variation on the waiter rule.

3 Likes

What kind of lack of preparedness is this? Any given day, I can assure you that my mom can produce at least 3 plastic spoons and a fork from her handbag.

17 Likes

Well, some people don’t juggle for a living.

5 Likes