More reports emerge that Amy Klobuchar is awful to staff, especially when hangry

I don’t really care that much whether she’s an asshole in person.

What I do care about is the fact that she supported our disastrous invasion of Libya, and repeatedly voted to give the US government more power to spy on its own citizens.

All this discussion in the mainstream media abou whether she’s an asshole, and whether people are sexist for calling her an asshole, is deliberate misdirection to maintain the fiction that eternal imperial wars and the police state are not serious issues that we should legitimately be judging candidates on, and keep our politics focused on soap-opera bullshit about politicians’ personalities.

17 Likes

Of course the plane only had spoons, or coffee-stirrers.

You take a fork in the road.

1 Like

Time off from work of any sort is unamerican to the most large US corporations. For the peons, of course, not the C-suite.

5 Likes

Well that’s it… all the prospective candidates have nasty smelly foibles (don’t get me started on Bernie and toilet seats) So my personal Russian-troll nesting doll tells me i have to vote for trump or putin will stop sending me all these hot news items like AOC wants to nationalize my spinal fluid. …what to do what to do… in anycase i have to vote right?

1 Like

If I were a busy politician, constantly on the run, I’d keep an unused take-out chopstick pack in my purse. Anything you can eat with a fork and a lot of things you can eat with a spoon can be eaten with chopsticks.

7 Likes

And if you sharpen them, you can use them the same way women used to use hatpins when men got too fresh. :wink:

6 Likes

Well, if it was a he they’d resign instead of have people imply not allowing them to abuse their staff is some sort of sexist conspiracy.

Staffers Detail Widespread Abuse in Mistress-Abortion Rep Tim Murphy’s Office

Really saddened by the tone in many of these replies. I’m just going to post the reply that got a “nice reply” badge the last time this person came up:

Regardless of how common bullying is, it’s unacceptable and it makes me uneasy to see so many supporting it in this thread.

In addition to abuse being unkind and demeaning, it has very real national security implications. People with options do not subject themselves to this kind of bullshit - scientists, engineers etc. Senate Staffer is the proverbial “foot in the door” job that gets people into public service.

If they feel abused and pivot to private industry, we all lose.

7 Likes

3/4 of the things in my purse, excluding the actual knife (legal, by a tiny bit), can be used as a weapon, if necessary. :smirk:

3 Likes

EXACTLY.
What’s the fuss about the comb - especially around the likes of BB where ‘life-hacks’ are promoted heartily? That’s a pretty good move, imo - though I maybe would have cleaned it before instead of just after.
Do people here have other fork-hack suggestions for the situation?

But, gender aside, she does seem like a crap boss.
I know it wouldn’t be called out as much or be such ‘headline material’ if she were a man – but it’s still crap behavior so I’m glad it’s being made public and side-eyed.

6 Likes

My aunt and my mom are the most practical yet thoughtful women I know. Presents from my aunt always revolved around literacy and practicality. Often books, and once, a nifty Swiss Army knife.

I feel I must mention that they tied at the state level in the national spelling bee, back in the mid-60’s, so they each got a set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

5 Likes

This senator has a long history of abuse, which was detailed in a less “quirky” way previously.

2 Likes

I feel like I can eliminate at least one candidate.

I fully agree she seems pretty abusive and terrible as a boss.
That’s why I closed my comment with this:

So, it’s agreed she’s problematic - I just don’t get how the comb-as-fork-in-a-pinch thing is some big deal or being linked in with her crap behavior towards staff.

1 Like

The problem is first impressions can be powerful. Trump spent decades being portrayed as a successful business mogul. All those supporters of his who still think he’s brilliant? They’re still thinking of him as a successful business mogul. If it wasn’t for that prior reputation he’d be just another Palin by now.

Right now everything about Klobuchar is about her temper and her treatment of staff. If she’s not careful that’s going to become everyone’s primary impression of her.

I do feel like I’ve heard similar stories about male politicians. Of course it’s about the stories we haven’t heard.

1 Like
9 Likes

Man… Trump’s really done a number on people here. How fucking low have the expectations become?

Don’t get the whataboutism either. No other woman candidate is getting this specific criticism. Almost as if Klobuchar has this specific problem. :thinking:

Oh, and her policies suck. Take any politician that you would turn the smoke detector off for if they were on fire, and slap a D on the end of their name and everyone suddenly acts like they walk on water.

This kind of surrealist bullshit is the only reason people can take someone who delivers Strom Thurmond’s eulogy and then think, “Fuck man, Biden would make a great president!” Fuck that guy, too.

12 Likes

There are something like 2 million fed gov employees (not counting postal service). It seems unlikely that more than 0.5% of them could have gotten started as senators’ staff.

If Microsoft or Ford or Verizon adopted the sort of leave policies that the US Senate allows its members to adopt, many members of the US Senate would be loudly demanding national legislation prohibiting this sort of employee-hostile behavior.

Legislation from which the US Senate would be exempted, of course.

3 Likes

I think it’s just a veep style moment from a terrible person.

1 Like

I’m eating with a comb right now.

8 Likes