The Bacon press, or how my OCD expresses at breakfast

Did you also get shellfish tongs and a container for holding the mother’s milk so you can boil the calf?

9 Likes

Did this a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Probably how the Test Kitchen method could be improved right there.

1 Like

I recall those always being used in the littler diner back home…

Wow. That had never even occurred to me. That’s tomorrow morning’s experiment!

I worked in kitchens for a decade or so and a bacon press was always standard issue. Go to any diner where you can watch the cooks work and you will find bacon sitting under a press.

However the goal wasn’t to make it flat for the sake of being flat. It was to speed up cooking/reheating on the flat-top.

1 Like

As someone who makes grilled cheese by squeezing it in a sandwich press until the bread and cheese fuse, I can definitely see where @jlw is coming from in his quest for flat bacon.

1 Like

Judging by this and a lot of the other comments, perhaps a bacon press is a fairly normal instrument when you cook a lot of bacon. For me, it’s maybe twice a year. I don’t really do a lot of grilled cheese either.

A press for something like bacon is a great idea. I just happen to have inherited a number of excellent cast iron pans, which accomplish the same thing. (I.e. a close fitting pan in another pan)

But in all honesty I’m just prone to baking it. With some foil it makes cleanup a 60 second process, and I don’t need to have a grease can anywhere.

I cook bacon in the oven on a rack set over a half sheet pan. I set the temp to 375 when using the oven’s convection feature, 400 without it. The bacon cooks in 15-20 minutes. I can cook up to a dozen thick cut slices simultaneously. The bacon stays flat, too. I switched to this method ten years ago and it has made bacon preparation effortless. For a real treat, rub some brown sugar on one side of each slice of bacon before baking. It caramelizes and turns the bacon into a wonderful (horrible?) kind of bacon candy that is so hard to resist that I quit making it.

2 Likes

Parchment paper. Oven.

Give a (OCD) boy a bacon press and all the breakfast meat must be flat.

3 Likes

They don’t have to. Every product review on BoingBoing has an Amazon link, and every link has a referral tag. 4% to 8.5% of every sale, depending on volume.

That’s one hell of a downside.

I will be trying this.

Maybe not the brown sugar, though. That sounds dangerous.

Well that’s nice, I like this site and wish for it to make money. I still think anybody who needs an iron for their bacon must have a kitchen the size of the Taj Mahal.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s one you can use for every meal. Because bacon.

3 Likes

Me too.
@jlw is there a tag or something I can bung in the URL of the random crap I buy so that BB gets a cut of my next order or doesn’t it work like that?

From some sites (not necessarily this one) if you click the affiliate link that takes you to Amazon and then buy something else, the original linking site still gets a cut, even though you didn’t buy the product originally recommended.

1 Like

I stopped eating meat before the hipster bacon craze, but I never really got it when it came around. Bacon’s ok, but it’s not as interesting as sausage or good cheese or even good ham.

However, Trader Joe’s has been carrying multicolored carrots recently. I shred them up for salad, and the red ones with the light-colored cores end up looking very much like crumbled bacon in the salad.

1 Like