The best baguette in Paris is made by a Sri Lankan immigrant

Originally published at: The best baguette in Paris is made by a Sri Lankan immigrant | Boing Boing

4 Likes

He has not been invited to meet [President Emmanuel] Macron, who had a selfie taken with some previous winners. He feels he has gotten less French media attention than others in the past.

Good job, Macaroon. :angry:

8 Likes

all chefs and bakers. Traditional French boulangeries are a real burden on the baker.

Since I found out I was coeliac that’s the thing I really miss: crusty, fresh bread. There’s a French bakery near me and I get the. joneses just walking past. Not being in constant pain is quite a big upside though.

13 Likes

That’s quite a Gallic response…
But well done, Tharshan Selvarajah

16 Likes

I found myself sleeping rough in a strange town one night; it was cold and miserable, and only got worse when the bakery started work at 4am. The warm smell of baking bread was really tough to bear.

11 Likes

but ‘I don’t give a damn.’

Citizen or not, he has the Parisian attitude down to a tee.

A fresh baguette from a French boulangerie is one of the most affordable genuine pleasures in life.

15 Likes

One of the best bakeries around here is Tour le Jour, which I believe is Vietnamese. I can’t remember if they make baguettes, but they make other European style breads, pastries, and cakes and they are really good.

Another place makes Kouign Amanns and they are amazing balls.

9 Likes

I was introduced to those last year. Luckily for my heart and silhouette, I’ve only found them in a part of town I don’t get to very much. The cardamom ones, OMFG.

3 Likes

“the baguette’s optimum shelf life is not more than a few hours”

This is true, but as a Brit, a stale baguette, sliced thinly, toasted brown, and slathered in salted butter while still hot enough to melt it, is a moment of sheer heaven.

6 Likes

Half butter. Half flaky bread. Half cinnamon and sugar - all goodness.

And the ones I have had really aren’t super sweet.

Tour le Jour is like that too, European in that it may have some cream frosting, but overall it isn’t super sweet tarts and treats.

2 Likes
1 Like

Some would kill for even a small piece.

4 Likes

Ask for une baguette tradition,

sans punaises de lit

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.