The best boxer in history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/19/the-best-boxer-in-history.html

2 Likes

THIS is what we come to BB for. It’s an SNL skit, right??

1 Like
1 Like

I was thinking it was going to be like: Who is the best boxing historian? :thinking:

5 Likes

He has absolute control of his environment. Simply genius.

5 Likes

Eh, I reckon it would take at least a moderate knowledge of boxing to recognize this as being unusually awful. I know I don’t.

Well, he’s got his own style, I’ll give him that.

8 Likes

Peak “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.

11 Likes

Oh Brother, what a tomato can [sports idiom].

1 Like

His “presence” seems to be that of a guy who’s won a few barfights (due to opponents being drunk) and decided that would be enough to embark on a boxing career.

9 Likes

Either way…

7 Likes

BMW R90s
waterboxer is the Vanagon GL Weekender

2 Likes

I dont know a whole lot about boxing but, um.

This is one of those fights where the guy is intentionally sent up against an opponent who outclasses him, right? The favorite gets to pad his record and the other guy, while not paid to take a dive, gets a better payout to go into it.
Just seeing the stat board, that one fella had nearly 20 pounds on him. Even as heavyweights, that’s not small potatoes I imagine. And then to see Smiths form, if you could call it that, well.

1 Like

In the heavyweight division there is no weight limit, so you routinely see boxers face opponents with 10 or 20 pound weight differentials, and often see much larger gaps. The bigger fighter is not necessarily at an advantage in this division, because conditioning tends to vary inversely with size.

The main problem in this fight is that Mr. Smith had no idea at all how to box. None.

6 Likes

A decent middleweight would have no problem.at all with that guy. He just really, really didn’t know how to box.

3 Likes

Or how to take a punch.

3 Likes

You could tell from just the first few swings. No punches delivered from the shoulders, and swinging at air.

1 Like

I would say if you’ve seen one good boxing card you would have it covered.

The only reason the fight lasted as long as it did was that the decent boxer was probably just baffled.

2 Likes

This is giving me rough n rowdy flashbacks…

He’s a graduate of the Fred Sanford School of Boxing.

5 Likes