The best controller for a Nintendo Switch is the latest model Xbox controller

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/09/the-best-controller-for-a-nint.html

1 Like

I miss Lik Sang.

3 Likes

It’s too bad Xbox controllers are still so expensive. Even the knockoffs are still kind of pricey – not that I would care to wager money on their longevity.

1 Like

I have had an xbone controller for games on my lapbeast for years now with no issues. I probably don’t use it as much as @jlw does with his controllers though.

2 Likes

I stopped using mine as a wireless controller, and stopped dropping it. Magically not dropping it stopped it from breaking.

5 Likes

I would personally recommend getting one of the gamecube controller to usb adapters and using a gamecube controller, as they’re the only first-party controller designed around a human hand and not some lofty idea of what technology should look like

Very cool. I had purchased a wired Xbox 360 controller from Amazon and when it arrived one of the sticks was dead.

I talked with customer support, and they ended up sending me an Xbox One controller as a replacement because one one point in the product description it said it would work on a 360. It didn’t.

So I’ve just been holding on to it in case I end up getting a Xbox One at some point (which I might eventually, since it has a 4K Blu-Ray drive, while my PS4 Pro doesn’t, I recently discovered). This will let me finally use the thing, for my Switch at least. Thanks!

I thought about that, but that’s another case where the authentic models are expensive, and I hear the knockoffs can potentially break the controller’s connectors. It’s also a bit unfortunate that the D-pad on the Gamecube controller is a little shabby.

More significantly, they apparently only function as DirectInput devices under Windows, which means you have to mess around with emulation layers if you want to use them with games expecting an Xbox 360 controller (with XInput).

Compared to a Switch Pro controller an official Xbox controller is a bargain.

2 Likes

Just in case you may not be aware but steam has done away with the hassle of getting any controller to work with games that expect Xinput controllers. I currently have a collection of controllers that I use with my PC which includes the DS4, DS3, switch pro controller and even an old gravis gamepad pro controller (Great for Ms pacman tournaments), My main pc controller is a DS4 now even though I have an xbox one controller that works natively, it just works now.

Ya… no. Switch controller is fine, I also love the pro controller.

You’re saying your old Gravis controller will work with any arbitrary Steam game, without further configuration…? That is news. The ScpToolkit DS3 drivers are definitely Xinput already, and I think the same goes for the DS4.

(I would love to try to get an eight-player game of Knight Squad going at some point, but I suspect that if I ever manage to get seven other people interested in having a go that my ramshackle collection of controllers will abruptly refuse to cooperate.)

Shouldn’t DirectInput take care of you? As long as you can find a Win10 driver for that old sound card with a Game/MIDI port on it.

Perhaps I’ve missed some recent developments, but if I’m not mistaken, gameport support was dropped entirely in Vista. Gameport-to-USB adapters are still an option, but they’re limited in functionality (as the standard gameport couldn’t do much on its own).

1 Like

I hadn’t heard that. But of course my main concern with Vista and onward was dealing with the problems UAC created for my customers.

Searching around, seems like it’s mostly lack of drivers for old hardware. Maybe I’ll dig out a gamepad and a soundcard from my basement and give it a whirl next time I get to taking apart my PC.

1 Like

You need to map keys the once but most times there’s already a template that somebody has uploaded for your controller.

Uninstalled that from my system, no need anymore.

Modern windows games use xinput, map buttons to the xbox control scheme and ignore direct input altogether, few games implement Dinput anymore.

3 Likes

Dollar for dollar you net out around the same between the adaptor + Xbox or PS3/PS4 controller vs Nintendo’s native Switch Pro controller. The Nintendo controller, however, is too small for my hands and may have been sized towards a younger audience.

I can understand the problem with joycons, as that’s why I bought a pro controller, but isn’t the Switch Pro controller pretty much the same size as the Xbox and PS3/4 controllers?

I have little experience with Xbox One or PS4 controllers, but Switch Pro Controller is larger than the PS3 controller and about the same size as the Xbox 360 controller. At least in images the Xbox One controller looks similarly sized, too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.