The best driver in Los Angeles

4 Likes

I’d have pulled up behind him, kissed his bumper, and put mine in 4Low, park it in Reverse, and encourage anyone else to box in his driver side with their car, and wait for authorities. I have good bumpers. That other SUV had good bumpers. He cant do damage in that car without a running start. Deny him that.

LA has a lot of bystanders it would seem.

1 Like

Yeah, OK, John Wick.

I dunno about you, but if something went wrong and my car was damaged I’d be FUCKED. No car, no job, etc. I’d be forced probably to buy something cheap on a loan. Or pay an expensive bill to fix.

Maybe if someone’s life was in danger, but at this point it was property damage.

5 Likes

I was disappointed. No distant mushroom cloud on horizon at end.

5 Likes

There was a good long moment when the guy in the car was completely stationary. Someone could have ridden up right on him so his car would have no room to move, that would have been safer than to have the guy drive off. He could have easily killed someone. Would’ve I done that if given the chance? I tend to majorly avoid confrontation so i’d say hell no, but boxing the guy in would’ve been fairly easy to do.

Only one guy filming in landscape? ONLY ONE? and why didn’t we get that footage. Looks like he had a better viewpoint too :slight_smile:

16 Likes

For all I know the guy in the video is high, but car crashes definitely do something weird to people’s brains sometimes. Like, you completely fail to comprehend what just happened so you just act like it didn’t. I worked with one woman who went off the road, rolled twice and landed wheels down. When somebody came over to ask if she was ok, she complained that her car wouldn’t start.

I grew up next to a “black spot” corner where until they finally widened the road there would be about one accident per year. One incident an SUV came off into a ditch, bounced up, knocked the top half off a power pylon and came to rest leaning vertically against the stump. I didn’t see any of this but according to my dad there were high voltage lines swinging and sparking, fuel leaking, all that good stuff.

“Are you OK?”

“Yeah, no worries. Help us get back on the road before the cops turn up!”

Personally I think I’d try knocking on the window, ask if he needs help, ask if he can help me with something, anything to divert him from whatever he thinks he’s doing. On the other hand I don’t know much about life in the US and what the odds are that he has a firearm, so for that I might hesitate.

Letting him drive away put lives in danger.

4 Likes

Did you finish the video?

I think he thought he was the best driver in Los Santos.

1 Like

someones life was in danger

Says the Shadow.

I did. He drove off in a cloud of smoky glory

At 2:45 the guy in the black SUV was like “Oh man, this doesn’t look good. I wonder what’s going to happen next…oh shit! Goodbye!!”

Clearly he was hopped-up on doughnuts and Monster energy drink.

2 Likes

Whose life was in danger?

Would a cop have been justified to use deadly force at that point?

Would a citizen?

I’m comfortable in my knowledge he’s a fictional character.

basically underpowered

His own, people crossing that intersection when he sped off, other cars after he kept driving, any pedestrians that might have been in his way, etc.

And justified to use deadly force? Depends on what the guy would have done if stopped in the middle of his episode, but that’s an imaginary scenario so debating that is completely pointless. Same for civilians using deadly force. An argument could be made to support or counter that action, but that’s not what happened.

At the end of the day i’m glad only property damage is what occurred, there’s the guy’s license plate as evidence, and no one died.

3 Likes

Now that you mention it that did look more like glitchy Rockstar AI rather than real life.

6 Likes

Breakfast is the most important meal before elevenses.

Related:
https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2017/07/28/the_ultimate_full_english_breakfast_have_your_say/

2 Likes

I’m just trying to gauge how committed one is to the statement “lives were in danger”.

A clear cut situation that required action would have been met with, “If force was presented and he didn’t comply, it would be acceptable.”

Isn’t that what is half this thread is?

Some people would have that option. Maybe not in CA, but other places. If one should attempt to block that person in with their car, do they have the same duty to present a threat of force and follow through if they don’t comply - in the interest of saving lives?

I contend that the answer in both cases is “no”.

PS - happy BB anniversary day.

1 Like

I am also of the mind that deadly force is rarely needed, but the argument to support that could be easily made. In the case of a civilian however i think the laws around that are much more restrictive, but an officer would definitely have more leeway to use deadly force. Sadly this is all too evident of a reality.

Also to reiterate, personally i am of the mind to remain uninvolved. Blocking the guy could have potentially escalated the situation in unforseen ways, and i doubt i would be physically capable to restraining someone that is on something or incoherent.

And thanks! I barely remember when i joined the forum lol. Was surprised when i saw the cake by my name.

2 Likes