The best (fake) holiday fruit cake

Originally published at: The best (fake) holiday fruit cake | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This is actually good, at least as good as storebought gets.

2 Likes

Agree. A good fruitcake is one of my favorite things about the holidays.

2 Likes

I grew up on my grandpa’s fruitcake, so I never understood the jokes.

Fruitcake, done well, is a lovely winter treat. No, really!

5 Likes

I totally agree and my annual baking of the family recipe was just completed on Sunday. Nobody gets any of this unless they actually like fruitcake - it’s too valuable to waste on people who wouldn’t enjoy one.

Our entire family used to pitch in and bake so much of it that we had to mix it in the big turkey roaster pan because none of the bowls were large enough.

4 Likes

If you make it every year, you might want to look into Pullman pans:

3 Likes

i’m with @chgoliz – the real thing is really delish! i slacked and didn’t make one this year, but that just means that if i bake one in January and tend to it faithfully, i can have one ready by next christmas!

2 Likes

Same here. My mum makes a lovely fruitcake, and while I had seen the ‘store bought’ kind, it was so different that I never really thought of it as being fruit cake.
Still, if people thing they don’t like it, that just leaves more for me :slight_smile:
(This only went wrong once, when I made a cannabis fruit cake for a party, which practically no one ate. So the next day I got up and ate about a third of it for breakfast. When that kicked in all at once, I was pretty out of it for a few hours)

2 Likes

The over processed store-bought stuff is an utter abomination.

Made fresh is always better.

1 Like

For fun regifting solutions (fruitcake-adjacent or not), recycle any tin, but sub in wacky contents (do Danish Cookie tins ever hold their actual cookies more than 10% of the time?!).

Ours is an ugly flat (plastic) crystal ornament with the most bland generic holiday message possible. It makes its way into someone’s stack each year, usually in a creative way that belies its utter dullness.

Time to go dig that up and decide on a victim; hmmm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.