The best hot sauce recipe

Are you replying to the right person? That was sort of my point. Except salsa really just means sauce in Spanish. I think the differentiation is more of an American thing.

1 Like

From my experiences while shopping in the UK, Iā€™d say about 2/3rds do have onion in

Try removing the seeds and veins that support them first. Anaheims are pretty mild (about 500 Scovilles) and most of what ā€œheatā€ they have is in the seeds and veins.

Also, there are mutant cultivars of some peppers with no capsaicin. Weā€™re growing a test batch of ā€œHabanadaā€ peppers in our garden this year because I like the sweet fruity taste of habaneros but much as I like picante food I have my limits ā€“ I have to dial back the habaneros to the point where their good taste is overwhelmed by other ingredients.

For those who like the sound of this recipe but would like some ā€œheat,ā€ the Anaheim is just a (rather variable) milder variant of the standard New Mexico No. 9 cultivar so that could be used. Alternately, I would suggest a few finely chopped fresh serranos (probably green) mixed in. They were developed for pico de gallo and are great as a minor ingredient.

For those who like dried chiles, let serranos ripen until Christmas-red, then cut them in half lengthwise and smoke-dry them (about 60 degrees is a good temperature; I use mesquite smoke). The result is a pepper that you can grind into a powder that does amazing things for all sorts of foods ā€“ I recommend very small amounts, though, because the powder is amazingly strong both on smoke and ā€œheat.ā€

6 Likes

Needs palm sugar. I like this recipe with a little palm sugar.

Makes an amazing marinade for beef too.

1 Like

Ee Ghads.

I believe this falls under just because you can make something doesā€™t mean you should

But thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Made my own hot sauces for years (btw not with onions or cilantro) taking advantage of the fresh chiles that come to the summer farmers markets here in NorCal.
I will try this one with fermentation in the next batch.
Also, I must plug Root Simple podcast that is a great listen.

It doesnā€™t hurt that alliums are also flavorful enough to disguise the presence of meat.

1 Like

All the habaneros Iā€™ve ever tried also have a citrus-y tang.

Itā€™s been suggested (I think I read this in ā€œThe Hereticā€™s Feastā€) that itā€™s also related to smell and caste; that high caste Hindus donā€™t want to smell like onion-eating peasants.

3 Likes

Fascinating factoid! Iā€™ll definitely look that up in more detail and add that book to my wishlist. Thanks again.

If you want a good easy recipe for hot sauce (salsa picoso), ask any Mexican man how they do it when their women are not around. It will most likely not contain cebolla or cilantro as they are sprinkled on (or not) to taste after the sauce is cooked.

Mexican men who have no women with them are everywhere, taking care of you, so it should not be a problem finding one.

1 Like

This. Love chili sauces of all kinds, from Harissa in a tube to dried, smokey chili flakes in oil to tinned chipotle chilies in adobe sauce but Tabasco and other vinegar sauces are shallow and thin and sour.

Vinegar saucesā€™ main use is that they do a nice job of cutting/balancing super greasy things like southern fried chicken or chicharrones.

3 Likes

Having only recently been introduced to US-style barbeque, that makes a lot of sense.

1 Like

I get more smoke than citrus from 'em. I have odd taste buds, though. They register jalapeno as way hotter than habanero. YMMV!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.