The best hot sauce recipe

Where does that leave a proper Gibson?

2 Likes

or, just buy Frankā€™s Red Hot. Cheap and delicious!

1 Like

ZOMG I just realised I want some pickled onions right now!

2 Likes

This is the only acceptable form for pickled onions:

6 Likes

That comment about tasting them for ages applies extra for monster munch, if youā€™re not picking them out of your teeth for the rest of the day, itā€™s not monster munch.

1 Like

For my own use, I just grow a variety of peppers every year. I tend to focus on hot ones, but you could use whatever you liked. When they are nice and ripe, I harvest and dry them. I save up the dried chiles until the plants stop producing, and then I remove only the stems and put the rest in the blender. Nothing else, just dried peppers. The blender reduces them to a fine powder, which I put in shaker-top glass spice jars.

The pepper powder goes on everything I want to add pepper to. Because thereā€™s nothing else in it, I can use onions and/or cilantro if I choose, or leave them out. And because you can grow and use whatever peppers you prefer, you can tailor this to be as hot or as mild as you like.

1 Like

onions and/or cilantro, both of which are loathsome by any objective standard.

Onions (and beer) are proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.

Iā€™m sorry but you have the tastes of a three year old. No offense.

1 Like

Onion rings with a cilantro-seasoned batter, you mean.

2 Likes

I wear the heavy, black nitrile gloves available at big box ā€œhardwareā€ stores for handling the stupid hot ones.

@SheiffFatman: Coriander is just the seed, silly British person.

3 Likes

I made a batch of hot sauce a few years back that used about a peck of fresh habs and scotch bonnets. I would have been done for if I hadnā€™t used those gloves, and kind of wished I used a respirator when I started cooking / canning. (I just ran outside for long periods of time.)

3 Likes

I was told habanero was the spanish name for the scotch bonnet? was I misinformed?

either way, I cannot do your sauce. I mean, I could eat it to say I did it and Iā€™d be OK (I think) but i would not enjoy it. I do like some heat. Iā€™ve come a long way; from birth to mid-twenties I was completely intolerant of any heat whatsoever, but my tolerance is not anywhere near your sauce.

yes, this. letā€™s not confuse our terms.

Yes. Habanero are less hot, a different shape and taste a bit smoky. Scotch bonnet are noticeably hotter and have a bit of a citrus taste.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what I had for lunch, today!

Itā€™s not only followers of Krishna! The origins of this are in the early dualistic Indian philosophy of Samkhya, which tends to categorize essences of things into one of the three gunas - tamas, rajas, or sattva. Those who are trying to cultivate themselves are encouraged to eat more sattvic foods, and avoid tamasic ones. But this is not an absolute thing, it depends what is needed. Tamas is a sort of cthonic influence, being dark and earthy, and mostly characterized by inertia. Tamasic foods include things such as meat, alcohol, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. OTOH if your problems include having your head in the clouds much of the time, a little tamas might be just what you need.

2 Likes

cilantro - the devilā€™s weedā€¦

blech.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

Salsa and ā€œhot sauceā€ are somewhat different - salsas often contain cilantro, onions, garlic, various spices, maybe tomatoes or tomatillos, in addition to the hot peppers.

1 Like

It turns out that liking or disliking cilantro is more complex than just a single ā€œcilantro is good/badā€ gene, according to the research at 23&Me. Blog entry, factoid with lots of detail, more detail, research paper. Thereā€™s a smell gene rs72921001 that has a major influence (23&me doesnā€™t directly test that one, but itā€™s strongly correlated with rs7107418 which they do test - AA is slightly higher chance of thinking itā€™s soapy, GG slightly lower, AG average), but there are several different aldehydes that contribute to the smell. Itā€™s also partly cultural and experience, like learning to like coffee and beer if you donā€™t have genes that make those horribly bitter.

One of my friends insists on putting things people bring to her parties on the table herself, because otherwise somebody might put cilantro next to the food. Personally, I love the stuff.

2 Likes

My husband has the gene to hate Cilantro or, that filthy nasty soap weed.

However, in Thai cooking for curries it mostly calls for only the roots and stems. He wanted to recreate a thai green curry he had at restaurant and went about finding a recipe.

In the searchingā€¦he discovered itā€™s the LEAF of the cilantro he hated. The roots and stems are fine (as a munged up thing in a small doses).
Now, heā€™ll purchase Cilantro and trim off the leaf and finely chop up the stems for salsas and curries.

If you hate Cilantro and have someone that uses it in your house holdā€”ask them to only use the chopped up stems.

4 Likes

Onions, the perfect way to ruin any food. Though I do love onion rings as the deep frying removes that one particularly nasty chemical.

I tend to avoid hot sauces in general, the heat seldom contributes any noticeable flavor.

The vinegar is the simplest way to make sure that clostridium botulinum doesnā€™t grow in it.

5 Likes