The Best Indie Comic Artist you Never Heard Of

Check out David Hitchcock. Serious Wrightson vibes with a touch of maybe Gary Gianni? His attention to detail, especially in natural settings. Dark, moody and gothic. I could see him doing something for Allan Moore, especially League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Mignola’s Hellboy. Maybe a Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, or Frankenstein adaptation.

He recently did this awesome Shadow Commission for someone and it look fan-fucking-tastic.

I am going to show off his Shadow work, but check out his Facebook and other stuff to see Swamp Thing and Abbey, Poison Ivy, his recent work in Heavy Metal, and several other great works.

I am genuinely surprised he isn’t more well known.

And I found a few other samples.

https://twitter.com/dhitchcie?lang=en

5 Likes

Boops

One more boop!

If this post threatens to disappear into the ether for being too specific, repost it as a comment in the 2D art thread, which I hope to keep limping along…

ETA: Oh and also, I do love these pieces, particularly how they are almost aggressively anti-graphical, in the sense that comics art and illustration has drifted into a layered flat colors and smooth gradients territory that is starting to grate on me a little. These contrast nicely being well-drawn-but-rough-around-the-edges organic feel.

3 Likes

I didn’t know we that. Will post.

Some of his more finished work on his FB is even more fleshed out. With like intricate organic trees and ferns and other plant life.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.