The Best of the Worst Cartoons Ever

Originally published at: The Best of the Worst Cartoons Ever | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This video put me in mind of an article from Boing Boing from several years back, featuring – I think – a pilot episode of an animated show that never got produced.
It was spectacularly bad, aggressively derivative and mediocre. I seem to recall a football jock as one of the principal characters.
I haven’t been able to find the article since. Anybody remember this?

3 Likes
5 Likes

The whole Metafilter thread is worthwhile. One of the interesting issues facing animators was that Standards and Practices limited their inclusion of any sort of battle that might be copied by young’uns. Can we shoot the enemy? No, kids might find guns and play with them. How about a .50 caliber machine gun? No, kids might theoretically happen upon one. How about howitzers. (Sigh) I guess you can include howitzers.

3 Likes

action-figure-man

12 Likes

there was not one second of that animation that wasn’t absolutely fantastic

1 Like

“Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids” :confused:

3 Likes

Still get the theme song going through my head every couple of years, tho it’s probably been wildly misremembered by my 7 year old self. Wonder if the cartoon takes any pointers on knife fights from the film.

… suicide by cop, in Bolivia, for kids :tv:

2 Likes

This is 47 sec very well spent.

Challenge: this series ultimately derives from what original television show?

4 Likes

No challenge at all.

Happy Days

2 Likes

Incredibly painful.

It’s a trick question

Happy Days was a spin-off of Love American Style

5 Likes

I came for “The Robonic Stooges”, I was not disappointed.

2 Likes

There’s also the potential for some meta-meta-commentary on this 20-year-old special about then-20/30-year old cartoons.

The whole “best of the worst” angle feels very of it’s time, dripping with the trademark irony that informed so much of the 90s and turn of the century culture.

Maybe the most of-its-time facet is the way that things like Chan Clan’s casting of Jodie Foster and the aggressively racist caricatures of Rickety Rocket are just kind of ignored in favor of a vaguely-defined aesthetic “badness” detached from what would now definitely be acknowledged as obviously “bad” and harmful racist creative decisions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.