The best part of The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/11/the-best-part-of-the-importanc.html

Wow, they were right about Youtube radicalizing everything!

7 Likes

Aaaack. Where did that color come from? It burns, it burns!

2 Likes

The whole movie is a gem.

Except for that one added scene of Lady Bracknell on the train.

3 Likes

She sounds like Matt Berry in Toast of London

2 Likes

Appropriately enough, it comes from coal-

The dye was so popular that the 1890s have been called the “mauve decade” So the use of the colour is actually really contemporary to the play, which came out in 1895

6 Likes

I actually looked up this scene a few weeks ago, how weird. I’ve never seen the movie and the lady’s acting is super over the top.

1 Like

I look forward to the contemporary update, The Importance of Being Post-Ironic.

5 Likes

Right?!? I just ended up skipping through this “up next” video just to see who that was in the thumbnail. Guess what? It’s not in the video and i now hate myself and the world for watching it :cry:

2 Likes

Yes for the chemistry, but no for this black and white film.

2 Likes

Of course my favorite Lady Bracknell quoute is “To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.”

From one of my favorite shows as a teen. mention of this starts about 26 minutes in, but I recommend the entire episode Connections Episode 7: The Long Chain : James Burke : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

5 Likes

My daughter has a brace of small aunts.

1 Like

A pledge pin?!

6 Likes
1 Like

The acting of Lady Bracknell is generally expected to be over the top.

3 Likes

There are so many great lines in that play, but that one is the best.

1 Like

David Suchet doesn’t quite nail it.

2 Likes

Clearly from the Technicolor era. All I can think about is how alarmingly purple the good lady’s clothing is.

Toast fans unite!!

Well, for heaven’s sake, the Google Doodle today is honoring Sir William Henry Perkin’s 180th birthday

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ictx=2&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj518fN_OXZAhWL1IMKHRgqBJgQPQgD

4 Likes