The best PC role-playing games in 2019

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/14/the-best-pc-role-playing-games.html

2 Likes

2D Fallout after 3D Fallout? I’m not convinved … :smiley:

I’m rather enjoying For The King. Too bad it didn’t make the list.

“If your favourite RPG isn’t on the list, it’s number 51.” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I think one of the most baffling decisions is removing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was an excellent and worthy successor to the original game, and replacing it with Mankind Divided, which was a dreadfully bland game with a palpably incomplete plot.

2 Likes

The not so subtle digs at Diablo III show how dated some of the entries on this list are. It really improved with Reaper of Souls. Not that I would rank it higher than Diablo II, but I would probably put them both above Torchlight II.

1 Like

Are 30 year old video games even playable any more?

Strongly depends on the game …

DOSBox is pretty good at DOS games (sorry, for being obvious :wink: ), ScummVM for most old adventures games, MAME for arcade games, etc.

Anything particular you care about?

1 Like

EDIT

Considering they’re pretty loose with some of the RPG definitions and as of right now all I want to be is a goose

7 Likes

Depends on the game and how bad it looks matters to you.

That said, IMHO even mediocre 2D games are vastly better than early 3D games for retro in the graphics department.

Good 2D games are still decent nowadays, early 3D is like eye-bleach in comparison, great at the time but did not age well at all…

3 Likes

HONK!

post has to have at least 9 characters it seems

3 Likes

4 Likes

RPS is PC focused, so practically speaking there’s a way to get anything running. Aside from what @delightfultree says once you hit the Windows 95 era things just sort of run for the most part. There are some notable exceptions and a lot of 90’s and pre-hd stuff needs a patch or tweak to get along with modern resolutions and aspect ratios. But its a lot easier these days to get old games running on a PC. There’s a lot of good info over on https://www.vogons.org/ and a lot of stuffs been re-released the last few years. Either fixed or pre-packaged with fan patches.

2 Likes

but those we’ve retired were Dungeon Master, Space Rangers 2, Pool Of Radiance

Okay, I take it back, millennials really are ruining everything.

What was that game that was basically Diablo in game-play, but the world was all shamelessly ripped off of Warcraft?

1 Like

It’s “New Vegas” tho.

1 Like

I’m fond of the following summary of Fallout history:

“Unfortunately, just like today, EA in the early to mid '90s were a bunch of dicks and in the end basically refused to hand over the Wasteland license and no one could come up with an agreement to allow them to use the name. So Brian Fargo eventually throws his hands in the air and says ‘hang on, we don’t actually need the Wasteland license. We’ll make our own post-apocalyptic RGP, with blackjack and hookers.’ Which they very literally did. Twice.”

4 Likes

Is ascending the throne of Bhaal, dead god of murder, no longer good enough now that the most whimsical avatar of malice is available?

1 Like

Yes. You’re right. It could have been worse. But still …

1 Like

Too long didn’t click,
Here’s the full list:

1. Dark Souls
2. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (new entry)
3. Baldur’s Gate 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Dragon Age: Origins
6. Deus Ex
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale (new entry)
9. System Shock 2
10. Planescape: Torment
11. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
12. Dark Souls 3 (new entry)
13. Divinity: Original Sin
14. Stardew Valley (new entry)
15. Dwarf Fortress
16. Nier: Automata (new entry)
17. Pillars of Eternity
18. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (new entry)
19. Vampire: Bloodlines
20. NEO Scavenger
21. Skyrim
22. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
23. Sunless Skies (new entry)
24. Fallout: New Vegas
25. Mount & Blade: Warband (new entry)
26. Legend of Grimrock II
27. Darkest Dungeon
28. Fallout
29. Ultima VII
30. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall