The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

Well I hope you’re not expecting many ‘likes’ for that news!!

7 Likes

I sure hope it was a bluff because JHC. Keeping an eye on that one.

6 Likes

Meh. Getting so angry at a politician who doesn’t manage to keep all his promises in the first few months in office is a waste of energy. So far I’m pretty impressed with what he’s been able to accomplish, especially with such a slim majority in the legislature, an opposition full of obstructionist loonies, and an uncertain mandate from the electorate.

The biggest /s that I have available

4 Likes

I use the /XLs. Perhaps the /XXLs is needed here. :wink:

4 Likes

From the WaPo coverage of the same story:

While Biden has not abandoned his call for these tax increases as part of his broader agenda, the moves are still a potential new concession in stalled talks over funding to improve the country’s roads, bridges, pipes and ports.

The president still intends to seek the tax increase, the source said, meaning the White House could pursue the policy outside of the infrastructure debate — or in the case that bipartisan negotiations ultimately collapse.

Asked Thursday about the president’s position, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden has “absolutely not” wavered in his belief that Congress should raise the corporate tax rate, adding it is a critical way to “pay for a range of the bold proposals that he has put forward.”

So, at this point it is just a (temporary) bargaining point. That’s how politics works. Which is a good thing: imagine if the POTUS could get everything he wanted in the first 6 months, where we would have been at this point in 2017.

2 Likes

Just a temporary bargaining point until he continues to cede ground in discussions and becomes permanent.

But hey I get it, David: Taxes are a serious problem, one of a really large number of problems that the POTUS is charged with addressing. He hasn’t solved them all in less than 6 months of being president, and politics being what it is there are some he won’t solve at all during his entire term of office, no matter what his intentions. That’s the way the world works.

Big /s again

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

And I look forward to you continuing to say it every single time the Biden Administration caves to the Republicans, even when he doesn’t have to. Make sure to keep that pinned to your computer’s clipboard, because with three years left and so many more promises left for Joe to break and so many more lies for him to tell, you’re gonna be using it a lot.

2 Likes

Umm why?

3 Likes

Because , probably, when Biden leaves he expects the DoJ to continue defending him on any cases that may spring up involving him. It’s this whole presidential pattern of “don’t go after the previous administration in any way other than for political capital”

3 Likes

Ugh, you’re probably right. This is a matter that the DOJ never should have gotten involved with in the first place, but once that genie’s out of the bottle…

2 Likes

A while back, I made the guess that the Biden Administration was going to offer us a choice for what his administration would do, as is befitting of a leader intent on maintaining a semblance of order in a declining empire: Universal Healthcare, or prosecuting Trump. Of course I fully expected him to never follow through on whichever got chosen, but Biden didn’t even give us the option, saying “No” to both. God, he’s pathetic.

The report has yet to be released publicly, but its findings mark an official assessment from the Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies of how many children were actually impacted when the Trump administration decided to take what many considered drastic steps to fight illegal immigration. The report’s findings also reflect how difficult and challenging it is to repair the damage that was done under the previous administration, a Homeland Security official said.

Something nice, at least.

6 Likes

Angry Ron Swanson GIF

7 Likes

Biden signaling ahead to whoever’s president after him?

3 Likes

The CNN coverage of this, while not endorsing Garland’s move, gives some explanation which makes it seem not wholly terrible. (They also seem to think that the White House was unaware the the DOJ was going to take this position.) Meanwhile, it shouldn’t be too much to ask that Trump gets charged real soon now with something.

1 Like

I think it’s a fear of setting precedence with regards to holding a president accountable. You would think after the last presidency people would get how dangerous it is to give any president that much leeway…

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant. Biden will also commit crimes that only presidents and other unaccountable heads of state can get away with.

4 Likes

Right. And apparently even holding an overly corrupt president (rather than the normal corrupt kind) to account is considered a threat to that privilege.

We really do need a very different way of running our communal affairs.

5 Likes