The Biden Administration. Document the atrocities - Praise the graces

3 Likes

The Biden campaign is driving trollies Truth Social. I think I finally need a Truth Social account to read the responses.

5 Likes

I mean ok but if we had invested in the nuclear energy resources to burn on creating hydrogen fuel then we could just use the nuclear energy as our primary source. So wouldn’t nuclear be the better option still? If hydrogen just requires a ton of natural gas to work (pretty likely in the Houston hub, for instance) then what good is a huge hydrogen investment really doing? How is that not just a massive waste of money and energy? Feels like they are just greenwashing the system we already have to me.

Honest q if anyone one understands this enough to explain because nothing I’ve read has spelled it out in a way I can understand so far and I want lower greenhouse emissions. Like is it just kind of a slightly lossy way to store wind and solar energy such that the amount of natural gas needed is still reduced?

5 Likes

Yeah, hydrogen is probably not a great long term solution. Maximizing renewables and improving the safety of nuclear, and really, really hoping for fusion to work out is probably the best case.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah that is pretty much how it seems to me. I can credit Biden with at least shifting the narrative from the White House and I think he deserves that much for certain. But… in terms of effecting real improvements in climate change we need faster and more meaningful action. I’m increasingly persuaded that the best compromise is nuclear, but I suspect that will be too unpopular.

6 Likes

I agree, the best of bad choices. And agree also that I would wish Biden moved faster and further, but he is doing more than I expected, honestly. And even if he only did what I did expect, I would take that over the looming disaster of Il Douche II. I review Beau’s bus ride analogy a lot with this. “Even if you and he are not going equally far, you are moving in the same direction. Take that and roll.”

8 Likes
2 Likes

You should cross post that into the Israel-Palestine thread…

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’m gonna cross-post this to the thread about the war…

3 Likes

More infrastructure and climate-related investments:

4 Likes

Situated approximately 23.5 nautical miles off the coast of Virginia Beach, the CVOW commercial project stands as the largest offshore wind project to date. The project will include the installation of up to 176 wind turbine generators, each with a capacity of 14.7 megawatts. With a capacity of around 2,600 megawatts, it will generate enough electricity to power over 900,000 homes.

10 Likes

Interesting! That’s further offshore than the ones proposed for New Jersey, which has been getting pushback from people concerned about the view and potential impact on fishing. The media framing hasn’t been great, either. I’m glad they are moving forward with more projects like this.

7 Likes

What is Biden planning? He only needs 1.21 Giga Watts to go back to the future…

Anyways…2.6 gigawatts is nothing to sneeze at and I for one look forward to more green energy

6 Likes

Don’t you mean Jigawatts? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes
7 Likes

While I agree with the direction of the article, that the administration can and should be doing more to restrain Israel’s violence against civilians, I wouldn’t call Biden’s support for Israel’s response “unqualified.” The language that the administration has used with Israel is unprecedented for a close ally in the middle of a conflict - basically, “it appears you are committing war crimes; it would be great if you could stop doing that, yeah.”

internet explain GIF

Not a strong position by any means, and it would be far better if the military support was explicitly contingent on preventing civilian harm, but those warnings represent specific “qualifications” to the US support.

8 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes