The Blinkerwall, a stone-age wall at bottom of Baltic Sea, could be Europe’s oldest megastructure

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/13/the-blinkerwall-a-stone-age-wall-at-bottom-of-baltic-sea-could-be-europes-oldest-megastructure.html

4 Likes

The wall is clearly there to keep neighboring herds of fish separated. It’s awfully hard to brand fish, so the fences are vital to ensure harmony among the fish-herders.

13 Likes

I think I learned about fish-herding in school.

too early for crap puns, mayhaps

9 Likes

Blinkerwall.doommetal.bandcamp! I called it first!

12 Likes

Considering we don’t know anything about the god(s) of the palaeolithic, this is a strong statement

15 Likes

“Genocide and animal husbandry, it all comes from the same God/”

what?

9 Likes

Wonderful way to generate heated arguments online. Might as well complain about humans big brains that led to a more efficient way to hunt (assuming thats even what this is.) I have no deep knowledge of how one survives in the stone age but I bet starvation was always on their minds.

11 Likes

There’s a similar thing on the bed of Lake Huron

18 Likes

He’s pretty good at coming up with insightful turns of phrase but this one aimed for a bridge slightly too far.

1 Like

Even worse, I’m afraid, it’s a Lecter reference.

4 Likes

There is A LOT of cool early man artifacts currently buried under the sea. Man lives by water, and when the ocean levels were much lower, we would have had a bunch of various villages near the shore and they are all under water right now. :confused:

5 Likes

“Anyway, here’s Blinkerwall…”

4 Likes

“If you choose me, Ugg Mgogh, as leader of this tribe, I will build a wall, a big beautiful wall that will keep the reindeer where we want them. And the Ggorm Frm tribe will pay for it!”

10 Likes

That this was a hunting aid seems eminently sensible; it still worked, against the Romans, around 8,000 years later in the Teutoburg Forest.

This discovery is freakin’ amazing.

3 Likes

ChatGPT should really avoid getting philosophical.

2 Likes

Maybe it was there to keep out those pesky Doggerlandians:

1 Like

The fishing forecast is a disguised pagan ritual to keep the Old Ones asleep in the depths.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.