The Bluesky Files

I figured with the amount of press that it’s getting we might as well have a place to talk about Bluesky, since it is definitely separate from the fediverse and Mastodon.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Bluesky isn’t the only post-Twitter effort that Jack Dorsey is backing.

What is Nostr?

Nostr is a simple, open protocol that enables global, decentralized, and censorship-resistant social media.

Censorship-resistant sounds good, but what are the plans for moderation so that trollies and Nazis are bit-bucketted from my view and none of my resources are used to spread their traffic, because that’s part of free speech too?

justasIthought

3 Likes
2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Still a walled garden, and no sign of real federation yet.

1 Like

A very promotional article.

ActivityPub and the Fediverse isn’t mentioned, and I wonder if the author has ever used Mastodon. There are highly questionable bits.

The whole idea behind the AT Protocol, though, is that if you don’t like Bluesky Social for whatever reason, you can simply move to a rival social media site without losing your data or social graph. This is called “account portability,” and it’s baked into the core of the AT Protocol. It’s also a feature that Mastodon doesn’t support; it is possible to move your Mastodon account from one server to another and keep your followers, but only if your original server cooperates, and you’re willing to lose your old data.

Horseshit. Please name one Mastodon incidence that doesn’t let you move your account. That one would rapidly lose its users, maybe its federation.

Advertising copy disguised as an article makes me a bit suspicious.

3 Likes

i mean, they could turn off the server the first time a user tries to leave. so it does need some sort of cooperation. :cat2:

<— futurma technically correct gif goes here

it does indeed sounds like advertising fud

2 Likes

Gab? Truth?

1 Like

Forks of the Mastodon code. (Now I’m tempted to explore to see if any of the ActivityPub API is running.) They certainly lost their federation.

That article sure makes a lot of a feature of Bluesky that’s moot right now because there are no other instances, and no separate user broker servers.

2 Likes
1 Like

If only there were some way of distributing that load across many systems!

2 Likes

Pot, Kettle, Jack. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

TL;DR: One of Bluesky’s devs got tired of their stonewalling on the anti-Black racism issues and snitched on them via LinkedIn. With Names.

Errrrrrrrrr…OOPS.

1 Like

Apparently they still allow you to use many words that are on the banned-for-usernames list in posts, so that’s cool /s

1 Like
2 Likes

https://circumstances.run/@davidgerard/110303972798576262

dig this, the nazis are just another kind of content and not people you fucking kick:

a190c1de9d9a6a67

1 Like

1 Like

I love how transphobes get treated on BlueSky

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.