Twitter alternative Bluesky launches RSS feeds

Originally published at: Twitter alternative Bluesky launches RSS feeds

7 Likes

Mastodon also has RSS.

RSS rocks. I follow BB and other sites mainly through Feedly (and before that the late, lamented Google Reader).

21 Likes

Sigh RSS readers should have been a completely built in and incorporated feature in mobile OSs for years by now at least as part of public safety initiatives. Can’t count on Elno or Zuck to push out important warnings anymore.

8 Likes

At this rate… “y’know usenet was better than current social media in most ways…” (“It’s gopher or IRC for me!”) (“heeey, what’s that ‘BBS’ after ‘BoingBoing’ stand for?”)

By the bye, on the Bluesky webpage one can learn about their shiny new “AT Protocol”. Yet, no, (for us quasi-living fossils) that has nothing to do with Hayes modems.

9 Likes

Yay, bell bottoms are back!

4 Likes

NetNewsWire… But yes, awesome software. I wonder if it still boots on the M-series Macs. Or if it uses Cocoa and not Carbon for that matter.

5 Likes

Still using The Old Reader, which is a clone of the late Google Reader. Love it and use it every day.

7 Likes

dave winer does not do scripting news anymore… too much has… hall effects…
but you can subscribe to emails if you like…

I’m a former Forté Agent user, now (many, many, many years later…) using Inoreader.

5 Likes

Mastodon is the only Twitter alternative with any promise because it’s the only one that doesn’t have the fatal flaw of being owned by a rich asshole.

Although I don’t use Mastodon either, because I don’t like the Twitter format.

3 Likes

I’m reading this on Feedly right now!

11 Likes

I miss Papasan.

7 Likes

What happened to him?

He unfortunately got tired of the trollies, and told them off in a rather personal way, which does not fit within the rules here.

3 Likes

The Old Reader is literally how I got here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bluesky (which I do use regularly, though not remotely as much as I ever used twitter) has its own flaws. Right now, it’s idea of security is shit. Not even two-factor authentication set up. No direct messaging. Less than helpful filtering systems. Only it’s very slow ramp up has kept it from being turned into a swamp yet.

I do like it because right now the conversations are more focused and intimate feeling, and there’s not much driving trollies I’ve seen. But I also don’t see anything set up to prevent it from going that way in the future. And I don’t trust a single one of the rich disrupting douche nozzles who created the first gen of social media.

2 Likes

My biggest complaint about Bluesky at the moment is the way it shows threads as individual posts in the feed. It keeps from really digging into the platform.

2 Likes

Bluesky is very much insulated from the worst of the Internet by its invite-only nature. They’re in a honeymoon stage, and I opine that their moderation system (to say nothing of their governance and funding in general) is very immature. Mastodon has had years to build out funding models, moderation infrastructure, and social support networks, that Bluesky will have to build once they get into federation.

The hard work is not technical, but social, and I feel like bluesky is falling for the Campbellian “solve it with technology” fingertrap.

I guess enjoy the “vibe” while it lasts, and hope that the moderation structure can withstand the kiwifarms et al brigade when it opens up.

2 Likes

And Friendica and others can follow an RSS feed, which can be normal feeds, or anything from other Fediverse nodes.

The last is handy for a snub node like mine, because I can follow tags on larger nodes to pull things I wouldn’t see only by following people.

4 Likes

Back in the 90s, there used to be little copypasta “checklists” that would circulate among various communities. They would usually take a form something like:

You are advocating a

technical
social
ineffective

solution for a

technical
social
nonexistent

problem.

Someone more creative could probably riff pretty well on that for social network sites, heh.

5 Likes