Twitter alternative Bluesky launches RSS feeds

I think it was originally Cocoa not Carbon. The original author bought the rights back and has open sourced it. It’ll run on M1 macs as a native app, or on iOS. https://netnewswire.com has some details, and GitHub - Ranchero-Software/NetNewsWire: RSS reader for macOS and iOS. has the source code if you want to fire up Xcode and compile your very own version.

To be honest I haven’t looked at it on a Mac in a very long time, but I do still use it on the iPhone…

2 Likes

star wars GIF

I’m curious, did you use any of the utilities to allow it to pull from multiple mail servers? I wrote one for my wife and open sourced it.

2 Likes

Fun fact: Forté Agent is older now (in software years…) than Alec Guinness was during the filming of Star Wars!

To be honest, I don’t remember everything I did or didn’t do with Agent. I don’t even recall if I used it for email. I suspect not? I think at the time I was using Agent I was using… Eudora, maybe? Perhaps Thunderbird?

I do know I got uudecode and unrar working, because otherwise how would I have been able to download all those parts to get those VCD images for burning?

3 Likes

The “which button” problem seems like a choice between “growth and nazis” or “stagnation and standards”. Equilibrium may be possible under capitalism but I wouldn’t bet on it here.

1 Like

Is there another way to read BB not through RSS? That would be news to me. I never just “visit the home page”.

Newsblur for me.

4 Likes

Problem is I find it hard to stay away from the slow motion car crash Xitter has turned into.
Observing though, not contributing. I only post to my Mastodon account.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that he went down fighting like the salty old seadog he was.

2 Likes

Sorry - I don’t quite understand your meaning here. Is it that Mastodon is a stagnant ecosystem because it uses open standards, or …?

No, Bluesky. It has a choice between growth and standards and is at the place where it has to pick one or the other. I don’t think it’s taken investment yet

1 Like

If people need invites I have 5 still.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.