The Body Orifice Security Scanner is why the rectally smuggled phone is called "Beat the BOSS"

Does it vibrate on incoming calls?

Years ago I was involved in a research programme to try to build a mine detector that could pick up the anti-personnel mines that the Argentines scattered all over the Falklands (anybody who thinks they intended to take them over long term should consider why they would do that. The intention was obviously to try to deny them to the British, not develop them.)
We managed to achieve sufficient sensitivity (not easy in peat) but the price was such that the government decided it was easier and cheaper just to have the occasional sheep blown up.

There is always a tradeoff between cost and performance. In this case I can’t see the point as one would think it would be easier to detect the radiation when the phones were in use.

1 Like

engineers only have complicated and expensive solutions. free-market followers simply sell magic wands and call it a day. go capitalism!

1 Like

I’m familiar with this model of chair because my dad used to sell it (and so he had several around). It’s essentially a chair made of laminated plywood, with a metal detector mounted under the seat and a second platform (with a second metal detector) mounted at approximately head height. The idea is that, during transit between prisons, a prisoner would be sat on the chair and would place his head on the platform, in order to ensure that weapons like razor blades or pins aren’t being smuggled in his mouth or anus.

I should note that the ones we had were not particularly reliable. As a kid I’d play around and see if I could fool the chair, and I typically could, by changing my position.

(I should note, this was probably the late 90s. I had no idea they were still being manufactured, after 20 years.)

1 Like

Actually the British Ministry of Defence relies on incompetence pure and simple, I don’t think they are sufficiently intelligent to recognise an ideology.
No attack submarines currently usable, aircraft carriers that can’t carry planes, wrong kind of socks in the Falklands, inaccurate torpedoes, submarines that can’t launch missiles because the tubes fill with saltwater…the detector scandal is comparatively small scale for the MoD. Really if we outsourced them to Russia we’d do a lot better, and perhaps after we’ve left the EU that’s what will happen.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.