The Borderlands movie succumbs to the video game adaptation curse

I think that there is a difference between “cell-shading” and "cell-animation":smile::+1:

I’m really wondering what “Minecraft” is going to do for plot, tone, and characterization?

1 Like

The main thing that screwed the last Tomb Raider film was that they simply lifted several set pieces from the game and filmed them. I played the game already, I saw that. Show me something the game didn’t.

It’s a bit of a balance to get the feel right but not just copy the game. And most video game adaptations don’t get this balance right, unfortunately.

1 Like

Folks, we’re looking at this all wrong. If this were just some dumb video-game adaptation, sure. But see, it’s not a movie.

It’s the beginning of a Borderlands Cinematic Universe.

Note to Randy Pitchford: Maybe check in with the folks over at Universal about the wisdom of calling a Cinematic Universe before the first movie debuts.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t get all the knee jerk hate for the movie based on a single trailer. I’ve played the games and enjoy their stupid, dumb fun. The second game had a great villain and a lot of great side characters. If it has fun action, funny quips, quirky characters, and dark humor I will probably love it. It definitely won’t be for everyone but I don’t get the immediate hatred. Maybe give it a chance?

2 Likes

I keep forgetting they’re making a “Minecraft” movie, because that’s on par with basing a movie on solitaire, or “Coca Cola,” where it exists purely because of the brand recognition. What, it’s a movie about a guy who digs holes and chops down trees?

I’m not seeing a lot of hate. What I’m seeing are mostly people who, like me, don’t hate it because the trailer is too… nothing to hate. There’s really nothing there - it’s pretty generic and unremarkable trailer for an adaptation of a game that doesn’t lend itself to a movie adaptation. But the thing is, trailers of this sort almost always have the best, funniest bits of the movie in them, and if those are the funniest bits, that’s kind of damning. The trailer at least is clearly going for a “Guardians of the Galaxy” vibe, and the more I watch the trailer, the more I realize it’s not succeeding.

1 Like

More inane garbage designed to make money. This isn’t art. It’s soulless. A series of unfunny punchlines. I am surprised to see Cate Blanchet in this. You rarely see her in a dud. I guarantee this will be awful. Just more spectacle over substance.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.