Even the Honest Trailer is more Borderlands than I can watch

Originally published at: Even the Honest Trailer is more Borderlands than I can watch - Boing Boing

6 Likes

The game truly was amazing as it traded in tropes from just about every apocalyptic sci fi movie ever and was fun to play but being that I don’t know if it could ever succeed as a movie being a retread of so many movies. They could’ve just done an anime and use the voice actors from the game and would’ve been better for a fraction of the cost.

I wonder if we’ll ever get a game adaptation that comes as close to the Quality of Last of Us. Bioshock was so much fun and such a good story but I dunno if it could be done properly as a film.

6 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the Fallout show but obviously that’s a very tonally different franchise.

10 Likes

The Super Mario Bros. movie was better than I expected. The new one, not the Dennis Hopper one.

2 Likes

A plotline so generic that ChatGPT is suing them for plagarism.

First Dates Rte GIF by COCO Content

15 Likes

The Dennis Hopper one is amazing. Just… not as a Super Mario Bros movie.
(And yeah, the Illumination one is pretty damn great)

2 Likes

I tried to watch it because Kate Blanchett :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - I have no experience with the video games.

It was terrible :disappointed:

9 Likes

The only movie worth watching that has a young character wearing a rabbit ear headband is “I Kill Giants.”

Based off the graphic novel of the same name.

I highly recommend both.

8 Likes

I enjoyed the Street Fighter movie, but to be fair I used to take a lot of drugs.

4 Likes

I remember really enjoying the animated Street Fighter movie quite a bit.

3 Likes

I look forward to the inevitable Fortnite movie starring Dame Judi Dench, the Rock, Michelle Yeoh, and Jack Black.

6 Likes

The official trailers for the movie made it look pretty wretched - this just confirms it, really. I saw a serious film review of the movie and all the elements they liked best were from the games and had nothing to do with the plot, characters or anything else going on in the movie, which was pretty telling.

The thing about a lot of games is that they’re pastiches of various film series, the familiarity making it easier to players to grasp the setting (and allowing the games to play with certain cliches, etc.) Those are the games that make the least sense as film adaptations, yet those are the games that Hollywood seems most interested in.

Yeah, given how much effort the games went to, to be cartoons of “goofy Mad Max in spaaaace,” a film version is superfluous, but a live action film just misses the point entirely, really.

3 Likes

:woman_shrugging: I can’t watch Honest Trailers at all, so I guess that’s fair. I love the Borderlands series, but unless they make the movie as queer friendly as the game (and I doubt that they can), I’ll just sit here and wait for my next game in the franchise.

Although if they want to make a movie based on my head cannon of the polycule of Lilith, Ellie, Gaige, and Moze adopting Tiny Tina and raising her to be even more of a badass, we can talk.

2 Likes

That was :man_cook:'s :kiss:.

Apropos of ChatGPT, was the script written by an AI? The particular flavor of complete emptiness in the clips in the Honest Trailer makes me wonder.

Yeah, that was a pretty fun movie. I was surprised that it went so under the radar. I completely missed it in theaters.

It may be the only movie in history to violate my rule: If the best thing the movie has to advertise is “From the producers of…”, it will be complete and utter shit.

2 Likes

Still better* than Tank Girl**.

*I haven’t seen it, and don’t intend to.
**Yes, that still annoys me.

Is it pandering? Yes

Is it pandering to me? Also yes

Will i pay $20 to rent it? No, but I’ll wait.

2 Likes

One way to make sure your video game- based film is good is to not throw pretty much every detail about the characters out the window. Borderlands feels like it was written as something else first, then had Borderlands characters slapped on top with minimal changes to the script.

2 Likes

Fall out was excellent, not sure why that escaped me when I wrote the comment.

1 Like