The brilliance behind Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years"

Good question. Not that I know of, in the jazz world there is an awful lot of borrowing between artists and they mostly don’t seem to mind, and this example is rather minimal.

However Keith Jarrett did threaten to sue them and thus got a songwriting credit for “Gaucho.” (Keith Jarrett is another artist I have begun to appreciate more in recent years, his playing on those early 70’s live Miles Davis LPs is phenomenal.)

7 Likes

“… Snooky Young on flügelhorn…”

nice

11 Likes

Dude, I am with you 100% on “Haitian Divorce” and “Kid Charlemagne.” Let’s throw out the hardware and do it right.

2 Likes

Tyler the Creator? Don’t know his background much, but from interviews it seems his musical knowledge runs pretty deep. And his last few albums have just been just massive hits.

Yeah, me too, except I’d say because I heard them plenty growing up.

I’m sure you’re right, although on that same album they covered “East St. Louis Toodle-oo” outright (as opposed to sneaking the riff into a different song).

2 Likes

This song has always been like wallpaper for me. It’s just something in the background every once in a while. The only things I could have told you about Steely Dan were: “jazz-influenced” and “named after a dildo”.

Thanks for the invitation to the close listen though. The phrasing in the verses is really compelling, and the guitar is so nice and crystalline.

4 Likes

Look, all I wanna know is there gas in the car?

Dude, I am with you 100% on “Haitian Divorce” and “Kid Charlemagne.” Let’s throw out the hardware and do it right.

@Senorwences - Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Superb

1 Like

Why? Just so you can go up on the hill for some stuff laced with kerosene?

4 Likes

I can see why people call them pretentious, but they pulled it off. They made the music they wanted to make, and for pop music it was cerebral but catchy. Theres a lot of bad prog rock that by definition is pretentious. Was Dylan pretentious? Maybe but he pulled it off so then he’s considered brilliant instead; I could almost imagine Dylan writing this song as an acoustic number and nobody batting an eye.

3 Likes

Someone wiser than I once suggested that one might charitably substitute “pretentious” with “ambitious.” Perhaps when an ambitious effort is successful, it doesn’t come off as pretentious…

7 Likes

Wait a minute, the Minutemen are ʎɥsols?!?!?!?!?

With a gay artist singing, and a doubly clever interpolation from “Any Major Dude Will Tell You,” Robinson creates a whole new interpretation. I think the vocals should have gone all the way to pub sing-a-long though.

Outstanding. I suppose the lack of Cuervo Gold and fine Columbian means we’re not getting a cover of “Everyone’s Gone to the Movies” though.

5 Likes

ETA:
Playlist

4 Likes

7 Likes

Well it’s not Steely Dan and it’s not Donald Fagen, either, but - talking of covers - it might as well be. :wink:

As well as much Steely Dan, I have 3 Donald Fagen albums and The Nightfly is one of the most played albums in my iTunes library.

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for my spandex jacket. Just sayin’.

(I do have provisions, and lots of beer, though.)

4 Likes

But did you have a touch of Tuesday Weld? I know I didn’t.

2 Likes

No, Tuesday Weld never touched me.
But I’m mad about Brubeck.

3 Likes

A Becker/Fagen cover rather than a Steely Dan cover. Recognizably one of their songs, although if they’d recorded it, I doubt they would have mixed the strings so high.