The brilliance behind Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years"

I put together a whole Tumblr of the Steely Dan catalog, chronologically, performed as covers (or images that somehow relate to the song). It’s been a few years and there is some link rot but still…

5 Likes

I made it through the video to the point where he started speaking lyrics then I just had to just go watch the video of them playing the song.

I have Steely Dan’s greatest hits in my collection but they don’t get a lot of time in the rotation - I like them but there is a lot of stuff I like more.

Years ago my wife, who is a bigger fan than me, said that she thought Steely Dan had the best guitar solos. I scoffed and played her some Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Dire Straights, and Clapton (obligatory disclaimer: love his music, not a fan of the man). I was surprised that the solo on Reelin in the Years is purportedly Jimmy Page’s all-time favorite. I am not going to tell the missus that. It’s a good solo but Page has plenty that IMO are way more interesting.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.