The Bufalino Camping Scooter

[Read the post]

2 Likes

All of the unsafeness of a bike and none of the maneuverability!

11 Likes

Nah, I really don’t see any way to fly over the handlebars on this thing.

4 Likes

It looks more practical than this one that’s been floating around on the interwebs forever:

14 Likes

In Munich, handlebars fly over you!

1 Like

that’s no scooter (that’s no moon…)

Auto-rickshaw for the win!!

1 Like

That thing is just waiting for an invitation to tip over.

Keep the chassis, but have it drive “backwards”.

Can you put a hitch on the back for towing a rover?

6 Likes

Nah, the bars handle the fly for you.

3 Likes

I strongly recommend a lightweight crash helmet.

Not for driving. For waking up with your head under that shelf.

7 Likes

Where I live, I’m a bit concerned about it blowing over.

3 Likes

At a top speed of less than 40mph, it might take awhile to get anywhere…

I think the idea is the journey, not the destination.
The stability looks awful, but judging by the number of three wheeler taxis in India, it’s not utterly unfeasible.

1 Like

Industrial design students: in search of a less comfortable golf cart since the early ’70s

1 Like

It’s the illegitimate offspring of of a golf cart and a Reliant Robin.

5 Likes

Cool idea for an Industrial Design thesis, but not really all that appealing in real life for a lot of reasons, the most confusing issue is: why make a camper out of a vehicle not designed for long trips or highway driving? In that sense it’s more like a portable urban homeless shelter, but so is a minivan.

1 Like

It is a beautiful look. I’ve been looking into building a teardrop trailer and most of them don’t look this good inside. I might have to save these images for inspiration later on…

1 Like

You know there are people who go camping on 50cc Honda scooters in Europe? You would not believe how much luggage those things can carry.

1 Like

I have just survived a New England USA winter in a slightly larger mobile environment and I assure you this design is workable, if spartan. There is ample roof space for a 100 to 150 watt solar panel, feeding a small MPPT charge controller and at least a single 100 ampere-hours battery and inverter for lighting, charging the laptop, headlamp and radio batteries, and driving a vent fan and internal comfort fan. This would add much to the persons quality of life. A small (20 lb or less) propane tank feeding a Little Buddy ™ heater (standard for gypsy life) and propane camp stove would complete the necessary appliances.

A person living in this environment could be happier than you might expect; he would likely spend as much time as possible outside the vehicle in bookstores and other public spaces and would likely enjoy a folding camp chair he could sit outside with, possibly under a canopy projecting off the vehicle. Having electrical power even if it must be carefully husbanded, heat, shelter, cooking facilities and a bit of privacy are a big step up from what many people deal with every day in every country of the world.

As a motorcyclist I disagree that the “tuk-tuk” style vehicles have “all the unsafeness(sic) of a bike and none of the mobility”. Sure you can tip one if you work at it, but that’s true of every vehicle someone can imagine.

I give the Bufalino concept vehicle a conditional Nomad Seal of Approval" subject to real-world trials.

4 Likes

I think my Volkswagen camper van is a lot more comfortable, and likely has a similar engine.

Feed the mice!