The charcoal grill throws almost no smoke, is fully portable in use, and delivers flavorful food

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/26/the-charcoal-grill-throws-almost-no-smoke-is-fully-portable-in-use-and-delivers-flavorful-food.html

And everyone knows about carbon monoxide poisoning here, so nobody has to be reminded why this is an outdoor grill? Ok cool.

4 Likes

Not a new idea, it’s how many camp stoves like the BioLite work. But cool to see the idea slightly tweaked to a BBQ setting. Some questions I have though…

It looks like the spot where you put charcoal could only hold 5-6 briquets, this is a very small amount and would burn very quickly if you’re stoking it with a fan for more than 30 minutes. So once the charcoal turns to dust, how do you add more charcoal? I’d assume you’d have to lift the grill grade off the top, and add more briquettes. I already have this problem when actually BBQing (not grilling) with my Weber 22" Cajun Bandit Smoker set-up. Although in that scenario I can get a charcole chimney roaring on the side, then simply lift off the top of the smoker, set it on the ground for a minute, pour in the new coles, then add the stacker section back on top. With this tiny thing that seems really difficult, and not something you could easily do with food on it.

Also if you’re BBQing at a park or tail-gating I’d imagine you’re cooking for more than yourself, and this particular model looks really small.

It also looks like from the video paraffin charcoal starter is still required to get things going, and again not clear how you’d add more fuel when cooking for a longer time / more people.

tl:dr; Love the idea, but going to stick to using a charcoal chimney and the grills already provided at parks, or just throw my Weber 22" kettle grill in the trunk and take it to a park / tailgate.

2 Likes

I would stick to a japanese konro style grill that doesn’t require an electrical power source either, and they are made in all sizes so if you do want something small, there are some that are the size of a shoe box.

I use a cast iron hibachi grill top in my fireplace, 24 inch X 18 inch.
1] already have a fire every night
2] uses wood fuel for two purposes ie. keeps us warm & cooks yummy food
FAQ:
a] go small on the fire & food the first time
b] get 16 inch tongs
c] use a fire proof glove for obvious reasons
d] leave room on either side of the grill top to stoke the fire with fresh hot wood briquettes.
e] pizza stone works too, but it takes awhile to perfect your technique.

Any griller worth his salt would only use hardwood charcoal, not briquettes.

3 Likes

I’m using a combo of walnut & almond wood for grilling. If I can find it, applewood is my all time fav.

1 Like

I have a knockoff one of these type of grills I got for about 50 in Aldi. It works just fine. It gives a narrow cooking window as it burns the fuel fast at full whack. It’s meant for lump wood charcoal rather than briquettes. It’s easy enough to add fuel to as long as you aren’t currently cooking something I obviously. Lighting it requires some kind of petrol jelly. The recommended stuff is expensive, sterno or ethanol jelly is much cheaper and works fine. The cooking area is not huge and there is a variation in temp that produces hot spots. It’s really easy to clean, just wash it in the sink. I like it! I would not pay 150 for one of these.

2 Likes

hmmm… intriguing.
might consider this for taking out on a long-haul fishing trip to the deep blue beyond the reef. catch a tuna and - wham - quick sear both sides of some tuna steaks over actual charcoal on a grilling device that won’t melt the bait board (used to put a little cast iron hibachi-type cheapo over the side on the bait cutting board until it was warped and useless.)
this seems like a slightly less risky method.

For grilling I’ve found lump charcoal (wood or actual charcoal) to burn quick and get hottest. IMHO it’s the form factor & lack of chemicals that make it best for grilling. For BBQ however I’ve found charcoal briquettes burn slower and work best for long cooks (4+ hour cooks). So I respectfully disagree sir.

With that being said I’d love to have a stick-burner at some point in my life, but a little out of my budget ATM.

The following was cooked with charcoal briquets low & slow for 8 hours with cherry wood chunks.

(Memphis rub, followed by spicy vinegar based BBQ sauce at the end.)

Nice looking cook. You might think of sharing that on https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/happy-mutants-food-topic/

1 Like

There’s a fair but of debate on that front. Much of the BBQ scene advocates for briquettes for control and consistency.

Personally I prefer briquettes. I’ve found lump does not consistently give a hotter fire, and often burns down so quickly that by the time you get it fully lit it’s already cooling down. And there are high heat briquettes available these days.

The “chemicals” in your typical briquettes are starch or gelatin as a binder. And in some brands borax is used to coat the molds to help release. Low and no binder briquettes are available as well.

Meanwhile in the commonly available brands of lump I have found obvious pieces of plywood, pressure treated wood, and lots of plastic. Including a 4 inch section of PVC pipe.

There are a lot more premium brands of lump out there than there used to be though. Haven’t tried them, I imagine if the entire pitch is better (and often bigger) all hardwood charcoal that’s less likely.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.