The chilling sound of Phobos (Mars' moon)

Originally published at: The chilling sound of Phobos (Mars' moon) | Boing Boing

1 Like

Is it shaped like a potato… or are potatoes shaped like Phobos, because they’re originally from Mars? :exploding_head:

10 Likes

Is that the one they blew up in The Expanse?

4 Likes

That’s the soundtrack to 1970’s Doctor Who just before the Cybermen poke their heads round the corner.
Creepy stuff.

or perhaps Quatermass…

8 Likes

That’s the potato :potato: that got away.

4 Likes

So is this supposed to be RF emissions, or what? I’m not seeing an explanation here or in the link.

12 Likes

I’m disappointed that it isn’t referred to as “Phobos: Moon of Mars”.

I heard that it is covered in pork fat; but I think that is just wild speck-ulation.

6 Likes

I thought this was the sound of Phobos Voivod - Phobos - YouTube

at least according to Voivod…

6 Likes

probably inspired from kim stanley robinson’s mars trilogy

2 Likes

So, all those 1950’s low-budget sci-fi flicks got the sound right when throwing celestial bodies up on the screen.

6 Likes

Phobos is shaped like a potato

Put ears and a mustache on it!

5 Likes

The Hurtling Moons of Barsoom has probably been taken as a band name.

4 Likes

Yeah, came here hoping someone might have some background.

Cool sound, but what is it?

7 Likes
2 Likes

Close. That’s the sound an astronomer hears inside their head as they watch someone credulous swallow a tall tale hook, line, and sinker.

Phobos is a medium-sized rock. It’s not making any sort of loud continuous noise. And if it was, it’d be nigh impossible to hear–because it’s orbiting through quite a hard vacuum.

Five years ago, some dude trying to sell some crippleware ( Bandicam - Wikipedia ) put some sound over a still from 2008 ( Phobos (moon) - Wikipedia ). That’s all this is.

9 Likes

Les Claypool channeling of The Residents is spot on!

2 Likes

I assume that it is the sound of the Leather Goddesses

7 Likes

Funky space potato.

3 Likes

Poor little Phobos sure has a massive crater on one end! It’s even fulla more craters! tophat-eek tophat-paintophat-sad

Glad none of us are Phobos.

3 Likes

This sound file is a transposed version of the Doppler signal transmitted at radio frequencies by Mars Express on 29 December (2013) as it sped past Phobos. Its orbit was altered a tiny amount due to Phobos’ (tiny) gravity, and this was reflected in the Doppler shift , which you can hear.
You can listen to the ORIGINAL signal here

13 Likes