The climactic conclusion to DONG Energy's awesome name

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/10/the-climactic-conclusion-to-do.html

The new logo still has a dong-like appendage on the O

Making it an inverted Q. How is that pronounced?

2 Likes

That would be an Ø as in Ørsted.

Wiki: Hans Christian Ørsted was a Danish physicist and chemist who discovered that electric currents create magnetic fields, which was the first connection found between electricity and magnetism. He is still known today for Oersted’s Law.

Pronunciation can be heard here: Pronunciation of Ø in danish

5 Likes

My God who edited that video? Did we really need the same DIC eleven times? It felt like being married.

7 Likes

I knew the name rang a bell.

4 Likes

Americans have consumed Ding Dongs for decades, yet they find this amusing.

1 Like

Not a surprising end result, since most big brands tend to swing their names around.

2 Likes

Missed a golden opportunity! The Dildo Power Corporation [Danish Industrial Light and Dynamic Operations] would have ruled the web!

6 Likes

The “golden” bit would definitely fit into a campaign about how their renewable solar efforts are showering Denmark with energy.

6 Likes

Come again ?

1 Like

“There’s your answer, fish bulb.”

1 Like

A Møøse once bit my sister… No realli!

5 Likes

Or…maybe its an international of power???

2 Likes

I’m the first in with Wang Computers?

5 Likes

Anything that is longer than it is wide is suspect.

Ah, yes, to think that one could have powered one’s Wang by electricity generated by DONG…

2 Likes

How about 15 million Vietnamese dong?

1 Like

But made to look like a power symbol. It is actually pretty clever design.

ETA: Thanks for that pronunciation video. That is shortly going to become my ringtone! “ø…ø…ø”

I had a friend in high school who had a Wang computer. He was named Johnny Wong.

1 Like