The cube houses of the Netherlands

Originally published at: The cube houses of the Netherlands | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I got to visit the ones in Rotterdam once–they are cool looking buildings. It is a little jarring to walk around them because everything feels off kilter. I don’t think that I’d want to live in one year round, but would be a fun place to stay on vacation or as a secondary residence.

10 Likes

Having grown up in a geodesic dome, this still looks weird to me.

11 Likes

They look great from the outside, but the grump in me thinks these are terribly space-inefficient.

Look at this image. There’s little space to put your feet under the desk, and it’s hard to see much out of the window.

10 Likes
1 Like

If I ever need to build a resort for architects or a penal colony for engineers I’m now set on housing design.

2 Likes

It must be a brutal task washing those windows.

They just turned it round and made it worse.

Kind of explains why millions and millions of other buildings stick to doing it properly.

2 Likes

That’s always the problem with artistic architecture. The round houses, the domes, the UFOs, the crazy angles, they’re always impossible to furnish, you can’t hang pictures on your walls, and they waste much of the interior space just to look neat. It’s never worth it. There are a lot of very good reasons why humans build rectilinearly, even if it does make architecture students sad.

Frank Lloyd Wright used to compensate for the weird angles in his houses by also building custom fitted furniture for them. That’s fine but then you can never change anything. I hope that couch is exactly where you want it for the rest of time.

5 Likes

Just stay in the nearby hotel instead.

3 Likes

Good luck rearranging/refurnishing the inside of a Futuro. A nice weekend ski chalet, but a crummy living space even by tiny home standards.

3 Likes

Rows of houses… all bearing down on me…

It’s never worth it.

[Points at Real Estate.] Do they just paint houses with hull-grade paint in the first place in Holland? (Which side is the roof?) Shouldn’t rental agreements come with cleat systems (so you can stow in odd corners, having committed to spherical storage in the first place?)

I think they just reclaim land so you don’t need the hull-grade paint.

(I know that’s Flevoland, not Holland, but it’s the same idea.)

2 Likes

Whoever designed that desk must have a terrible hatred of people more than about 4ft tall. I can practically feel my kneecaps sobbing just looking at it.

1 Like

Cambridge MA, USA is going more towards Rubik Cubism architecture lately. There’s an Office building and a triple-decker condo with off centered cubic stories. The office building is unofficially called “The Cheese Grater.” No nickname for the condos yet. Cambridge is ultra posh don’t you know. /s

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.