The Cuprinol wood goblin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/26/the-cuprinol-wood-goblin.html

5 Likes

Voiced by Robbie Coltrane, of course. I never thought the voice matched the character.

7 Likes

A languid, breathy voice, high pitched in a creepily nervous way, might have been nice, perhaps? Or perhaps something very deep, slow and deliberate, as if contemplating whether to kill the viewer before each utterance?

6 Likes

I think he’s a pretty good-looking fellow, for an ent.

5 Likes

I have nothing negative to say about anything that gave stop motion animators so much high-end work

11 Likes

I remember these ads, but I never thought of them as especially satanic by advertising standards.

Anyway, on a loosely related note, I would like to recommend the wood-finishing thing I’ve been doing on pandemic projects. Normally I just make (indoor) stuff using unfinished softwood, but I was quite pleased with how this one project looked when fresh, so I used a white wood stain and then a couple of coats of matt water-based urethane varnish. I’m super into it – it basically looks like unfinished wood, but subtly nicer, and it stays that way instead of turning a steadily more horrible yellow.

(I’m taking the internet’s word for that last claim, but it’s held up for 6 months at least)

1 Like

I associate Cuprinol with somewhat toxic antifouling coatings for boats and docks. The copper gave it a decidedly greenish tinge. I remember a friend hoarding his supply from before they changed the formula to a variety that was less toxic to the environment (and to the creatures that want to live on or eat your boat.

3 Likes

The animation’s pretty impressive for a wood stain commercial. I like these.

3 Likes

nopeoctopus.gif

2 Likes

Ents are a kind of tree. This creature is made from the dead bones of trees.

1 Like

For me, the satanic issue is an animated undead creature, deliberatly soaking themselves in something that would be very, very bad for a person to soak themselves in. It’s got the same cognitive dissonance as the sherwin williams paint logo.

4 Likes

I just had a flashback to another 80s-UK-TV-specific Robbie Coltrane gig

1 Like

I feel like all the ad agents were champing at the bit to make the obvious “wood” jokes, but fortunately restrained themselves.

1 Like

By uk standards that was tame, god i remember all the 80s stuff included making the band, or teenage guide to being in band something like that, where the drummer used his new found fame to go to fetish parties with rubber clad entourage, and that was in kids tv program…

He’s what Morgoth would do to an ent.

1 Like

The Robaxacet ones always looked faceless and evil. (Maybe those pins are stuck in it for a reason? Don’t pull them out!)

1 Like

First thing that came to mind when the brushes started playing across the table top…
:flushed:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.