The Damned killing it on a "Night of a Thousand Vampires"

Originally published at: The Damned killing it on a "Night of a Thousand Vampires" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Very cool, but 1st punk album? The Ramones and the Saints both had albums in 1976. Even The Damned’s, “New Rose” preceded " Damned, Damned, Damned.

1 Like

More like The Damned ruining Bela Lugosi :frowning: What a terrible guitarwork on that song. Sorry Captain.
But, Bauhaus is mentioned, so an opportunity to post Bauhaus related stuff

1 Like

New rose was a single not an album.
You could possibly argue that the MC5 released the first punk album in 1971 with “High Time” but I’m not sure I would.
My unpopular opinion is that The Damned were a way better band than the Sex Pistols, for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

You could also argue that The Monks’ 1966 Black Monk Time was the first punk LP. The Monks certainly influenced TF outta the UK & European punks.

The Stooges’ eponymous 1st album was released in 1969.

The other day my BF played me a recent video of The Damned reunited, opening their set with The Stooges’ 1970. It was fucking Gorgeous.

3 Likes

Yes, I should have said full length UK punk record. Fixed.

And I share your unpopular opinion.

1 Like

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

I would argue since there wasn’t a genre of punk then, that no, you couldn’t… I’d argue that they had a huge impact on later punks, especially in germany… It was music critics who began to use the term to describe a style of music in Cream and Bomp!.. as far as I know the first band to use “punk” to describe the music they were making was Suicide, who seemed to have used the term as early as 71…

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot the Stooges. They have a better claim than The MC5 I think.

1 Like

Punk also wasn’t yet a genre in 1969 nor 1970. So much for The Stooges, then.

tophat-shrug

1 Like

That’s why they get called proto-punk generally… And the Velvet Underground, too. Very influential for later artists…

1 Like

The latest “New British Canon” is about The Damned:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.