Trash Theory looks at the many firsts and lasting influences of The Damned

Originally published at: Trash Theory looks at the many firsts and lasting influences of The Damned | Boing Boing

4 Likes

First Decadent novelist:

ETA: typo

7 Likes
8 Likes

Love The Damned. Every album’s a mix of psychedelic, goth, and punk. Usually positive lyrics. They’ve never worried about a unified image (one guy dresses like Dracula and the other wears a tutu). They’ve always heralded past members rather than pretending, like most bands, that those lineups never existed. They’ve never delivered the weak nostalgia trip album, even on their 40th anniversary where they put out Evil Spirits, an album closer in sound to The Doors’ Soft Parade than their Damned, Damned, Damned sound. And when I saw them four years ago, they were amazing live and played for a few hours. Highly recommended band.

5 Likes

And its B-side

And because I happen to like it- here’s your bonus track- their gloriously upbeat railway-themed punk love song:

4 Likes

pinstripehourglass

My fav thing about The Damned is how they look like members of 4 completely unrelated bands who accidentally walked in on the same photoshoot

vampanic

That video’s great - watched it t’other night, and look forward to watching it again with my BF.

5 Likes

And what song did Captain Sensible get to UK no. 1 with?

If you know you are punk, you know you don’t need to prove it.

7 Likes

Saw a tale of a wonderful exchange on tumblr

[At a party, guy approaches]
G: Are you a real punk, or a fake one?
Me [confused]: Uh, um, I don’t care?
G: Allright! A real punk! Great to meet you! I’m Colin, and this is my mate Jim…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.