Daft Punk splits

Originally published at: Daft Punk splits | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Good to see they both wore masks right up to the end. Respect.

31 Likes

Now I have a “bad case of the Mondays”.

20 Likes

That was more affecting than it had any right to be.

26 Likes

Truly the end of an era for EDM. They will be missed.

15 Likes

I’m affected by this far more than my friends or family can really understand. I think I’ve always harbored a (not so) secret longing that Daft Punk really was a duo of benevolent robots sent to us.

23 Likes

Nooooo… did they fight over who was the punk and who was the daft one? Did I not listen enough? Is that why they split up?

14 Likes

After their last album, I’m not surprised. They clearly gave up on the collaboration a while back.

1 Like

That scene is straight from the end of Daft Punk’s 2006 directorial debut; Daft Punk's Electroma - Wikipedia

Despite “starring” their musical character personas, they made the film but not the music. It’s a long, art film completely devoid of any dialogue and it’s a really hard watch. Plenty of lingering minutes spent on pensive shots that never seem to cut away.

10 Likes

Now I’ll never get to see them at the trash fence.

6 Likes

i seriously am wondering if their farewell video was filmed on the playa as a wink to burners everywhere.

6 Likes

That is what I choose to believe.

5 Likes

That was a cool swansong. I liked how their heads were lined up with the horizon as Thomas Bangalter walks to his mark.

3 Likes

Yea. Seems more like a teaser for a sequel to Electroma than anything else. If anything, they’ll lay low until they are out of money or nostalgic for preforming live and they will come back.

me too, me too.

3 Likes

Rock band breaks up! Oh no!

Why is this even reported? Have we learned nothing? Only the Beatles stayed split, and that one major example (and a few others maybe) has totally made us fall for this shit every time.

Besides, “rock band splits after 28 years” should really read “rock band retires after long career”. We can’t really expect or demand 30 years from a rock band.

6 Likes

Nirvana has managed to stay split up too, for largely the same reason.

It’s natural to be sad to learn that a band you love will no longer release new songs. Daft Punk isn’t some obscure indie band either, they’ve been a fixture of the electronic music scene since nearly its inception. They were many people’s first exposure to electronica.

6 Likes

I agree with most of what you said, but

isn’t really accurate. Electronic music had been going for a while by that point. Acid House and Rave had emerged, flourished and died by the time that Daft Punk had their first mainstream success. Daft Punk were among the first post-rave bands, rather than older rave bands that reinvented themselves to the new scenes that emerged.

12 Likes

My interest in the band really dipped after the last album. That said they are still very influential to me and i have a lot of love for them, sad to see them end things but at the same time it’s good to see it amicably end.

2 Likes

Damn, there goes another piece of my youth. Another thing I love.
Everything I love dies.
I need to lie down for a bit.

2 Likes