The "dark tales" spoken by an amazingly prolific sleep-talker

[Read the post]

1 Like

Iā€™d forgotten about Sleep Talking Man.

Looks like it hasnā€™t been updated in yearsā€¦

3 Likes

I have some doubts.

These 5-minute monologues seem a little too composed to be real. My son sleep-talks (and Iā€™ve been told I do,) but itā€™s a sentence or two, tops. Does anybody besides McGregor actually tell stories in their sleep?

3 Likes

I would have whole arguments with a boyfriend in his sleep. If I came to bed after him heā€™d bolt upright and start peppering me with questions and get very irritated with me, most times it was obvious he was asleep ā€œwho are those peopleā€ or ā€œwhere did the elephant goā€ and usually I could get him to go back to sleep just by asking ā€œJay, are you sleeping?ā€ and his eyes would flutter shut and heā€™s collapse back down into the bed. But sometimes he would INSIST that he was not sleeping, and I was just not answering his questions properly, so Iā€™d have to ask him ā€œJay, are you dreaming?ā€ or ā€œJay are you awake?ā€ and that would do it. But he could get up, walk around, eye open, the whole bit, having very long and loud sleep-arguments with me. So I can buy it. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Does anyone happen to know where I could find ONLINE TRANSCRIPTS of this, Iā€™ve been looking all over :-/ Thereā€™s the recordings, and thereā€™s the book, which is pretty expensive, but I was hoping to find some online transcript somewhereā€¦

2 Likes

itā€™s been the consensus among weird record collectors for years that the Dion McGregor records are faked. I recall reading somewhere that McGregor was a pretty active sleep talker but that recording the real thing didnā€™t result in suitable recordings, so they were reconstructed - and perhaps embellished - while in a waking state.
But truth should never get in the way of a great legend.

8 Likes

"The worldĀ“s most epic sleeptalker"
Really BBC/David Robson? ā€œEpicā€?
Come on, youĀ“re better than that.

1 Like

I could have entire conversations with my ex as well. Heā€™d sit up up, agree to do a specific task or to plans for the day, and then after I left the room heā€™d lie right back down blissfully ignorant of everything heā€™d just said. Once, before Iā€™d realized how often he did this, I said ā€œIā€™m taking a shower, keep an eye on the baby.ā€ He sat up and said ā€œSure, no problem.ā€

I came back from the shower to find our child had climbed out of her crib and was precariously perched on the changing table, while he snored away. I never asked him again.

8 Likes

I have my doubts too, but I have found that some people will respond to questions, sometimes in hilarious ways, in their sleep. I had a very funny conversation with a friend who talked in his sleep. This is the only part I can remember:

Him: She was born into the world nude.
(This came out of nowhere. I have no idea who ā€˜sheā€™ was.)
Me: Isnā€™t everyone?
Him: No. Sometimes pregnant women swallow bits of lint and yarn and the babies knit it into sweaters and Big Bird stocking caps.

I didnā€™t want to wake him up but it was also really hard to control myself at that point.

3 Likes

I know. My high school girlfriend once murmured, ā€œThat man back there looked just like John Lennon!ā€
ā€œBack where?ā€ I asked. She was sitting on a sofa with a wall behind it. She got so frustrated trying to explain, she woke up, and was angry for the rest of the day.

1 Like

I donā€™t sleep talk, but I dream full-length movies, complete with narrative arcs and everything. Sometimes even movie stars (usually stars that are stand-ins for people I know IRL). Usually they run for about an hour, as Iā€™m half awake in the morning, but donā€™t want to get up yet.

Difference being, I donā€™t sleep talk. Kinda wish I did, would make it easier to transcribe these dreams as a creative writing exercise.

2 Likes

I was recorded as a teenager at an overnight saying some weird shit, in a church no less. Semi coherent.

most of the stuff said in a church is semi-coherent

2 Likes

and many of the congregation are at least half asleep

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.