The DCU's new Superman, David Corenswet, talks about his nerdy interests and wanting his own John Williams theme in an old interview

Originally published at: The DCU's new Superman, David Corenswet, talks about his nerdy interests and wanting his own John Williams theme in an old interview | Boing Boing

1 Like

Thank goodness. If DC decided to keep doubling down on the “dark & gritty” thing the movie theaters would have to start handing out night-vision goggles instead of 3-D glasses.

2 Likes

I’ve heard great things about Brosnahan and her performances in Mrs. Maisel, although I haven’t watched it myself. I am completely unfamiliar with Corenswet and anything he’s been in. And I actually like that. I think some of the best castings in movies like this have been either unknowns or at least young actors who weren’t already A-listers. Chris Pratt for Peter Quill comes to mind, and that’s probably not a coincidence. So far, so good with this movie.

I don’t think we have to worry about that with Gunn. While he’s not afraid to get into some heavy, emotional, and even dark stuff at times, his movies are almost always hopeful.

4 Likes

To be fair, if Corenswet had been cast at the time Cavil was, and had the same director/writer, his superman would have been just as grim, dark, and gritty. The actor doesn’t get to define the atmosphere of the movie and role nearly as much as the directors and writers, so if anyone’s to blame for the excessive grimdark that’s been wrecking DC films for the last decade, it’s not the actors.
Trying to do that just gets someone else hired to be the Hulk in the next movie.

2 Likes

Calvin and Hobbes is a comic strip, not a comic book. Guy has no comic street cred.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.