The Doonesbury Trump retrospective proves that Garry Trudeau had Drumpf's number all along

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/29/the-doonesbury-trump-retrospec.html

On September 14, 1987, Garry B Trudeau ran the first Doonesbury strip that mentioned Donald Trump, in which his characters marvel that New York’s “loudest and most visible asshole” had floated a political trial balloon, hinting that he would run for president; thus began 30 years of marveling at, mocking, and skewering Der Drumpf, so rattling the Short-Fingered Vulgarian that he felt the need to issue a series of wounded denunciations. Now, just in time for the election, Trudeau has released a collection of his Trump-themed strips, Yuge: 30 Years of Doonesbury on Trump, just the thing to put the Republican nominee on tilt.

8 Likes

I loved how Bloom County made fun of Trump by putting his brain in Bill the Cat’s body.

There’s also the second Back to the Future movie. That version of Bill Tannen was based on Trump:

14 Likes

You made me realize that before Stewart, Colbert, Oliver, and others a large part of the country did get a regular–if not always daily–dose of political satire from Trudeau and Breathed.

It’s frightening how prescient some of it was. And I’d say the one thing Back To The Future missed is there’s no mention of Biff running for office.

17 Likes

That’s why they kicked him off the funny pages.

3 Likes

That and he refused to go to the smaller size comics that was being forced to fit more on the page.

2 Likes

Watching that video, I realized two things haven’t changed for me:

1.  Michael J. Fox still ages far more slowly than any other celebrity I know.
  2.  I still have a schoolboy crush on Lea Thompson.
4 Likes

Doesn’t everyone know that by now?

:wink:

Marginally off topic, but it would make my millennium to see Thomas F. Wilson, the guy who played Biff, weigh in on the Republican candidate and how he’s a real life version of the character that Wilson portrayed.

5 Likes

A little less mainstream than Trudeau or Breathed, but here’s some R Crumb:

4 Likes

news flash: satire cartoonist has made fun of high profile asshole

It’s neat seeing Trudeau’s art style evolve.

4 Likes

And his fabulously unflattering artistic attention to those jowls, that combover! Swoon

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.