The double-wide driveway will sell Baltimore's goth house

It depends on the goth, though. Not all of them are into the victorian decor… some do like more minimalistic creepiness.

3 Likes

Have you not seen the South Park episode about this… when South Park is invaded by “vampires” who drink clamato, and so the goths have to burn down the Hot Topic to get rid of them…

3 Likes

Goth is a pretty wide net. Victorian can be super goth but it’s not the only goth decor.

This definitely looks like a house with a goth owner. Some of the stuff could be goth or metal but the more “halloween” stuff actually does lean more goth than metal. Metal decor of that cheap kitsch type is usually more gore and slasher flick stuff, or heavy metal magazine stuff. Goth kitsch is more spoopy fake graveyard and cobwebs like this back yard.

My house is not classy victorian either but if someone walked through my red foyer past the Mythos bathroom and into the castle themed kitchen next to the living room filled with a mix a geek and spoopy decor. I’d find it disingenuous if they guessed the owner was not goth. Maybe not a “real” goth if they were uber elitist.

My lair…

(I really would like to get rid of the ugly carpet and plain wood trim/cabinets but we’re not there yet.)

8 Likes

Complete with uber-gothy kitteh of darkness!

south-park-goth-kids-dance

Holy crap, I have that EXACT throw!

I got it in the 90s sometime…

9 Likes

That always happens! Ha!

Whenever I see a tour of a gothic lair on YouTube there is often one item I own and almost always one item I recognize from somewhere.

The house from this post had a little plain wood coffin shelf that looks like it’s from one of my favorited Etsy shops.

It is a small and spooky world.

3 Likes

Indeed! I’m far too lazy to have a gothed up house, tho. We’ve done exactly zero renovations since we’ve moved in where we live a decade ago, other than building book shelves (because we have thousands of books).

3 Likes

I like repainting old ornate furniture, usually with stripes. And I’ve always wanted to go crazy on the walls. This is the first place we’ve bought instead of renting and I live next to another artist friend who is very good at and loves murals and faux finishes.

We are in the middle of repainting a giant dresser we picked up for free that will go in my sewing area.

I need to tackle the couple of not-black book cases after that and I might add some weird touches or stripes to the backboards of those while I’m at it. And I’m supposed to add some tiny bats to my partner’s night stand.

The back splash of the kitchen will probably end up the same faux stone as the rest. One upstairs bathroom is going to be fairy themed and our en-suite is going to be “oddities” themed, probably will include some more mural work with my friend.

I just repainted an octopus shaped shelf for the Mythos bathroom but I still need to get out the drill and install it. Also considering modge podge for our dining/gaming table top.

3 Likes

When I sold my house in November I left the eye-bolts up in the joists. I like thinking about the new owners puzzling out their purpose.

2 Likes

There we are, my very favorite hobby of domestic archaeology!

• What does this light switch do?
  • Why is the toilet right up against the wall?
  • Why are there two towel bars inside the shower?
  • What is this piece of rope for?

All real examples from my own house.

8 Likes

All that sounds awesome! You’ll have to share pictures as you go about making changes! It all sounds neat to me!

Anyways, you’re the Goth Queen of the BBS! it is known!

Black And White Goth GIF

7 Likes

Fortunately, I have no switches that turn on lights in Siberia (this may or may not be a Wisconsinism my dad taught me). There is still a mysterious crystal lamp in the attic. I figured it was best to just leave it.

6 Likes

I can explain the light switch from an example in my own house.

When we moved in, there were two switches in the garage. One turned the light in the garage on and off. Useful and makes perfect sense. The other was the sole switch controlling the light at bottom of the stairway inside the house. I was of the opinion that it made no damn sense to need to go out into the garage to turn on the light in the hallway inside the house. So, when we had an electrician over for some other rewiring, I opted to also have him move the swtich to be inside the house at the bottom of the stairs, near the light, making it possibly to actually turn on the light when you need it.

As a result of my evil genius, there is now a ghost swtich in the garage which does nothing, which will be left for future home-owners to puzzle over.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.