The dragon-tailed gecko has an amazing tail

Originally published at: The dragon-tailed gecko has an amazing tail | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is like a Kaiju ability; if it wasn’t real it would seem ridiculous.

8 Likes

I would suppose if they were allowed as pets, I’d have to name mine Elmer. :wink:

8 Likes

How have I not heard about this gecko until now? This is exactly the sort of critter I would have been obsessed with as a child.

3 Likes

Dragon-tailed Gecko, spraying sticky liquid from their tails straight at any would-be predators.

That’s what I do.

5 Likes

I’m doing it right now.

(Am I doing this right?)

3 Likes

Reminded me of the “cartoon character taking a drink after a close call in a shootout” trope.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 10.14.02 PM

6 Likes

I want to believe that this is true. But my searches aren’t finding any species of geckos called “dragon-tailed geckos” or any science-y information about how this works. All searches just lead back to the reddit post.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure where dragon-tailed is from, I think it is just someone’s description instead of a name.

It is definitely real though. The geckos it shows up in are classified as Strophurus, often treated as a subgenus of Diplodactylus. The caudal glands are mentioned in a lot of papers; a lot are pay-walled but here’s one on their evolution that finds they go back about 25 million years.

4 Likes

1 Like

I think there’s a typo in the original Reddit post. There’s no gecko known as dragon-tailed gecko but there’s a gecko species called Golden-tailed Gecko (also called Golden Spiny-tailed Gecko). These guys look pretty similar to the video’s gecko.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.