The eminently electable Bernie Sanders enjoys strong support from African-Americans and young people

Would Obama please VP that ride ?

We might as well merge this thread with the “Living dinosaurs could be recreated within the decade according to paleontologist” thread. Ha!

2 Likes

That Fox News nonsense is taking “Breadlines are better than starving” to mean “Breadlines are the best”.

But what are you saying, here?

Do you think Reagan was right to try to install a right-wing government in Nicaragua? Is that the better take then? Do you think Cuba had the worst healthcare system in the world?

I don’t think Sanders is the best candidate this year, but that doesn’t make Fox News credible commentary.

14 Likes

I campaigned for Bernie in the primaries in 2016 and I have never campaigned for anyone before.

I also just before I read this post donated to his campaign and wrote a long message why I did so.

I regret writing him in in 2016 rather than voting for Hillary even though she was extremely capable, but I hated Trump and I didn’t want to vote for the lesser of two evils because there’s plenty I still don’t like about her.

That being said I would still prefer a woman president and honestly I would love to vote for Elizabeth Warren more than anyone else, and I need to donate to her campaign now. If it’s down to her and Bernie I think I will vote for her, only for the same reasons others have said that Bernie is pretty up there in age.

I will say I must be ignorant here because I never understood what a Bernie bro supposedly was, but all the men and women I campaigned with we’re genuinely kind people, who were mostly intelligent and wanted real change.

America needs a president whoever it is to do the Fireside talks again, and really speak directly to everyone in America about what is actually going on in the country from various problems and how things actually are and what they are going to do to stop it, and I still think that Bernie does this better than anyone else, though AOC is doing a very fine job too

5 Likes

Nah (to reach minimum number of characters in reply)

You didn’t learn from last time that what’s true and what can be used to successfully attack a candidate are two different things? And while any candidate can be swiftboated with lies, Bernie has a TON of half-truths to be attacked with.

Do you really think an in-depth discussion on the politics of Nicaragua will somehow absolve Bernie in the eyes of the general American public?

2 Likes

Hey, I hear about Trump’s KKK-marching Dad a lot more often than Bernie being anti-Contra in the eighties.

If you think that story will find fresh legs, you’re welcome to your opinion. I don’t think people’s current objections to a Sanders run, are that he once thought people shouldn’t starve. People couldn’t remember Iran-Contra when talking about Bush Sr., so I don’t think they’ll remember it with super-vividness this year.

7 Likes

The party line dems and their media organs are trying to push the line that there’s not that much difference between Sanders and their chosen candidates. (implicitly, of course, because coming right out and saying it would invite open discussion of what those differences are.)

In terms of both domestic, and, especially foreign policy, this is simply not true. The centrist dems generally support the police/surveillance state domestically, (being corrupt AGs, voting for more government spy powers, etc.), and generally support our eternal imperial wars abroad. For many of us, these are vast differences in policy, at least as big as any differences between Democrats and Republicans.

All the candidates except Warren, Sanders, and Gabbard would pretty clearly be just as bad as Biden or Clinton in this regard.

Of those three, Gabbard, as much as I personally like her, is not really a plausible general election candidate, and Warren is a policy wonk without a populist bone in her body. I would personally be happy to vote for any of them, but Sanders is the only one of those three who can likely take on a populist in the climate we’ve got now.

5 Likes

12%. And roughly a quarter of his primary supporters did not vote for Hillary. But the other side of the that is that Sanders attracted a notable number of conservatives as well as Republicans and GOP leaning independents that were displeased with Trump. Together with the fact that his clearest primary wins tended to come in low population, whiter, righter states. It sort of complicates both the “Bernie would have won” and the “Bernie cost Hillary the election!” narrative. These weren’t people who were going to come around to Hillary in the first place. A good lot of them weren’t people who’d been shifted to the left, or progressives who felt newly welcome in the DNC. They weren’t in places the DNC could feasibly make a dent across the ballot. And they weren’t people who were amenable to the party as a whole.

2 Likes

I think literally any candidate the Democrats could have possibly run would have beaten Trump, with one glaring, proven exception.

It’s not like this was a run of the mill Republican challenger- We’re talking about possibly the worst human being ever to hold the office, and someone with a barely 30% approval rating. The Dems should have been able to run a half eaten ham sandwich and still been ahead by double digits.

Instead, they ran the one and only candidate who could ever have possibly come remotely close to losing that race.

13 Likes

The “Bernie Bro” is not a myth. This swatch of Bernie or Bust ex Ron Paul supporters who aggressively espoused refusing to vote for Clinton/giving us Trump are a very real population.

It’s fine to support Sanders, I myself voted for him in the 2016 primary. But don’t lie about the cloth so many of his supporters are cut from. They are, in the millions, dishonest, right leaning idiots who to this day openly claim they see nothing distinct about Trump, that he’s no worse than any other politician/president to hold office. And this isn’t supposition, I encounter these people daily.

5 Likes

This is a silly claim. Hillary not only won more votes than Trump, she won more votes than any Presidential candidate in history other than Obama. A historically unpopular candidate she was not.

Bernie might have won the general election in 2016, yes. He also might have lost. Either way, endlessly relitigating 2016 is beyond tiresome.

17 Likes

There was no rational or sane reason for anyone to vote for Trump, and Trump lost the popular vote by millions. Anyone claiming this was because Hillary Clinton was so “unelectable” is simply lying.

7 Likes

Probably because he had a better electoral map and would’ve (not joking) won. Nominating Hillary guaranteed Trumps victory. Every Hillary wannabe on this forum can hide from that fact and try to dissolve their failure by mocking Bernie but, every major polling site showed Bernie, not Hillary had the better electoral map period, end of sentence.

4 Likes

Honestly? 2016 polling?

This is the nightmare timeline.

8 Likes

When you average the polls and subtract the margin of error. They weren’t that far off. They’re mocked for being inaccurate but, many overlook the margin of error and polling average because as R Kelly says: “they can’t math”. Meet the Press and Face the Nation anchors highlight how these sound bites sound good but, hide the fact that the polling taken as a whole with an understanding of the math that goes into it and lurking variables wasn’t that inaccurate.

There’s a 15% chance I don’t believe it would have made any difference, with a 65% margin of error.

That goes to an 85% margin of error on the subject of whether re-litigating 2016 makes any sense for a human being to participate in.

6 Likes

The polling showed Clinton pulling off a solid victory up to the final HOURS before the election.

Again, I voted for Bernie in the primaries but anyone who says we can know with certainty how Sanders would have fared in the general election based on polling from months before is not being honest with themselves or others.

16 Likes

Forget it Brainspore, it’s Bernietown.

I was also a Bernie supporter in the primary. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen people pointing to Bernie’s general election polling and ignoring Clinton’s. Just the fact that he never made it to the general makes hypothesizing about what could have happened virtually pointless wanking. We don’t know what would have happened. I’d have liked to find out, but we don’t know. Also, while the Clinton backers focused fire on Bernie, I don’t think we saw the fully operational Republican Shitstar turned on planet Bernie in 2016.

14 Likes

Just to be clear, my comment was sarcastic, with the italics and the “man”. Otherwise carry on.

1 Like